An Airplane to Make ‘Em Mad

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dan Thomas

The Cessna 170 had a castering-main option for crosswind landings. It was not popular. Very few had it. The bearings in those wheels must have been obscenely expensive, even then. They were light tapered rollers that had a huge inside diameter to fit around the pivot mechanism. There were detents that held the wheels straight until certain side loads popped them loose and let the wheel pivot maybe 15 degrees.

1659200182517.png

1659200200056.png

Bill-Higdon

The Cessna 170 had a castering-main option for crosswind landings. It was not popular. Very few had it. The bearings in those wheels must have been obscenely expensive, even then. They were light tapered rollers that had a huge inside diameter to fit around the pivot mechanism. There were detents that held the wheels straight until certain side loads popped them loose and let the wheel pivot maybe 15 degrees.

View attachment 128308

View attachment 128309
Also an option for the Stinson 108

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
A scale Texan, but with a constant chord wing, and for laughs, Junkers flaperons and a 582.
Oh wait...
View attachment 128304
Now if only they made a tricycle version 🤔

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, and can't believe that Victor Bravo hasn't posted a picture yet, but there is (or was, for years) a T-6 rotting away at Whiteman that was converted to nosewheel, and had T-33 canopy and tip tanks. It actually exists in metal, and made me mad everytime I saw it.

Tiger Tim

agpilot24

Someone should build a trainer version of a Gee Bee R-2.
”Upgrades” shall include:
1. Obviously, a nose wheel.
2. Two place side by side.
3. Yokes instead of a stick- to mount the iPad.
4. Turbo diesel generator to run on bio-diesel to charge the battery to run the electric motor.
5. Leading edge cuffs to tame stall characteristics.
That’ll make ’em mad!

flitzerpilot

Test pilot Ranald Porteus demonstrated an aerobatic Auster Aiglet at Farnborough in the 1950s with limited-travel castoring main wheels for crosswind landings. Somehow or other in the late 1960s our group, building a Currie Wot at that time, acquired these. But they were big and heavy and totally unsuited to the Wot or any other similar sized lightplane.

But I don't know what the obsession is with 'taming taildraggers', although this thread is totally off the wall, but I don't really enjoy flying anything else.

Bill-Higdon

You should see it in person.

Bill, is that thing still on the ramp somewhere?
I don't know but I remember a former "Air Dale" from WWII talking about a pilot getting revenge on a Gunny that was much hated by Officer & Enlisted alike by putting him in the back seat & doing Air to Air Gunnery training the Gunny lost his lunch & then some.