An Airplane to Make ‘Em Mad

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

If you were going to ruffle some feathers just by calling an airplane into existence, what would it be? The rules are simple: it has to be the airplane itself that’s the problem and not some slogan put on it. You can get a billboard for that.

I’ll go first. A little while back I mentioned on a J-3 discussion group that parts of a Testerman nose wheel conversion kit have been following me around for years and I should put it on a clip wing Cub. The offense that caused was wild, I thought a geriatric hit squad would be dispatched to take me out. In any case I’m not really doing it… probably.

So how about you? What’s your build that would get all the attention at Oshkosh for all the wrong reasons?

TFF

Just means you got to do it. There is a biplane project out there. Looks like a Skybolt with a nose gear. So wrong but I don’t think I would change it. Lean into it. Nose gears really bring it.

Biplane RV7A, B2 bomber with a tail, turbine Waco or Dr1, some sleek glider with the nose sawed off and a Lycoming 540 stuck on with open cowl and training wheels.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Just paint the name of the airplane on the side of it according to what a news broadcaster might have called it. Sixty years ago, they were all called ‘Piper Cub’. More recently, they are all called ‘Cessna’. Who knows… twenty years from now, they may all be called ‘Cirrus’.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
If ScaleBirds Scott showed up with a little Bearcat or a Zero, powered by a Rotax 582, I'd have to bet on a few people getting pretty angry.

The Bede family showing up to take orders for new BD-5 kits, telling customers that the engines will be shipped in 30 days... that would probably do it. But it wouldn't be the airplane that got everyone steamed, so maybe that's not the right example.

The Greenpeace signature edition Solar-Electric Super Cub, with a built-in cup holder that can fit a wheatgrass juice shot but not a can of Coors, might irritate a certain segment of the aviation world.

Riggerrob

Dear TFF,
During one episode of the TV series about Buffalo Airways, they pranked the boss by hanging a PT6A engine from the front of a Fokker Dr.1 triplane replica.

Reactions: TFF

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
If you were going to ruffle some feathers just by calling an airplane into existence, what would it be? The rules are simple: it has to be the airplane itself that’s the problem and not some slogan put on it. You can get a billboard for that.

I’ll go first. A little while back I mentioned on a J-3 discussion group that parts of a Testerman nose wheel conversion kit have been following me around for years and I should put it on a clip wing Cub. The offense that caused was wild, I thought a geriatric hit squad would be dispatched to take me out. In any case I’m not really doing it… probably.

So how about you? What’s your build that would get all the attention at Oshkosh for all the wrong reasons?

Easy... I would get the Norway-lake-crashed Pipistrel Elektro, toss the electro-motor and batteries out. (toast anyway )

For propulsion to the wheels a contraption with bike pedals, sprockets and chains. Invite young Eagles (= good pedallers) to "taxi" it around, big boomer stereo blearing out Liam's Gallager "Everything's Electric" (loud but slightly distorted)

It needs to fly? No problem : the sound machine rightly placed will get weight and balance in check , then hook "tha bird" onto a tow-plane., release it at 6000 ft AGL and glide euh electro-fly it back to Mother Earth.

Knowing first hand the sense of humor of the Elektro-Fascistas: big laughs swiftly followed by the sound of running feet (of the pilot).

The Cessna brass will be pleased: there ain't such thing a bad publicity...

As final touch - also (my) life-insurance- the name of the owner/pilot/ blood group "Tiger Tim/ O+/ Thunderbay", printed competition style near the door.

You asked for it, Tiger, now you get it! :)

BJC

Supporting Member
If you were going to ruffle some feathers just by calling an airplane into existence, what would it be? ...

What’s your build that would get all the attention at Oshkosh for all the wrong reasons?
Not a hypothetical, but a real, live, HBA that really irritated people at an EAA Annual Convention and Fly-in. Either Rockford circa 1966 or Oshkosh, 1970. Merle Replogole arrived in the latest iteration of his Gold Bug, climbed out, got a rag and a spray can of gold colored paint out of the airplane, and proceeded to touch-up the paint job.

Lots of comments that he should not be allowed there.

1659032031098.jpeg

BJC

Last edited: