Amphibious Aircraft Challenges

Discussion in 'Bush / Float flying' started by jjbaker, Aug 21, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 29, 2010 #21

orion

orion

orion

The Centaur has been in "development" for many years but despite that still seems to be in the early stages of design (at lest not too many public updates). The hull design is clever and I think has a good chance of delivering beneficial performance. The only real negative I've heard regarding the technical aspect is that the hull's characteristics may make it a bit "quirky" at anything other than perfect straight-on landings. On cross-winds it may dig in and go squirrelly.

2. Oct 29, 2010 #22

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

3. Nov 5, 2010 #23

johnnyd

johnnyd

johnnyd

Air Camper?
    How about an AN-2 grafted onto a "Gooney Bird" float.

Talk about your UGLY DUCK(ling)!!!:gig:

4. Aug 30, 2014 #24

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

Looks like a twin-boom, single engine version of Refly Pelican. Refly Pelican, two seat, twin engine amphibious light sport aircraft

Thought I'd revive this thread, as I've had an interest in amphibs, as of late. I think the Gweduck would be a decent camper for two. Or an enlarged Johansen Cajo 59. I think the high-wing twins are the most practical, especially if you can get the props as close to the centerline as possible. Maybe a PBY style pylon-mounted wing configuration, or strut mounted wing, like the Corvette Hydro , perhaps with push-pull instead of outboard twin, like the Dornier Seastar. I'm thinking maybe 3500-4500 lbs gross. Just some thoughts.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 16, 2015 #25

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

I have been contemplating a small amphibian sort of like an ICON. The only significant difference is temporary tents that are hung over the wing roots after landing. By hanging tents over the sponsons, you could double volume for cooking, sleeping and even install a private shower.

6. Jan 18, 2015 #26

Magnus Wallner

Magnus Wallner

Magnus Wallner

Here in Sweden we're pretty much free to land on all water except for a few lakes used as water reservoirs. Best country in Europe by far.

7. Jan 26, 2015 #27

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ah! Shorts Skyan: "the box the Twin Otter came in."
    I have many fond memories of skydiving from the Pink Skyvan in Germany and Astria.
    Back when the disco song "Dancing On the Ceiling" was blaring in the Pink Skyvan's cabin, the pilot decided that we (20 skydivers) were bouncing around too much, so he pasted us onto the ceiling! Hah! Hah!
    But you have not skydived until you have been inside a Skyvan stalled and spinning because all 20 skydivers jammed too close to the edge of the ramp!