Amphibious Aircraft Challenges

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

orion

The Centaur has been in "development" for many years but despite that still seems to be in the early stages of design (at lest not too many public updates). The hull design is clever and I think has a good chance of delivering beneficial performance. The only real negative I've heard regarding the technical aspect is that the hull's characteristics may make it a bit "quirky" at anything other than perfect straight-on landings. On cross-winds it may dig in and go squirrelly.

Staggermania

HBA Supporter
Hey JJ, I've got an Amphibious Aircraft challenge for you.
I am not a member of your Seaplane Forum, but I would like you to help me get an ID on a small duck that someone else posted here. If you could please start a new topic in your other Forum with this photo, I'll bet one of those duck drivers can ID it.
I have attached the photo I mentioned before I started rambling. If you could post it I'd appreciate it. It looks a like like a four seat Sikorsky S-39, but I think it's home built. If you enter Sikorsky S-39 in this Forum's Search field you can find the message trying to ID it and watch the short video.

Looks like a twin-boom, single engine version of Refly Pelican. Refly Pelican, two seat, twin engine amphibious light sport aircraft

Thought I'd revive this thread, as I've had an interest in amphibs, as of late. I think the Gweduck would be a decent camper for two. Or an enlarged Johansen Cajo 59. I think the high-wing twins are the most practical, especially if you can get the props as close to the centerline as possible. Maybe a PBY style pylon-mounted wing configuration, or strut mounted wing, like the Corvette Hydro , perhaps with push-pull instead of outboard twin, like the Dornier Seastar. I'm thinking maybe 3500-4500 lbs gross. Just some thoughts.

Attachments

Riggerrob

I have been contemplating a small amphibian sort of like an ICON. The only significant difference is temporary tents that are hung over the wing roots after landing. By hanging tents over the sponsons, you could double volume for cooking, sleeping and even install a private shower.

Magnus Wallner

Here in Europe it's even worse, it's virtually impossible to operate a amphibious aircraft, despite the fact that we're one of the most suitable countries in the world for it. It's a pitty, but I'm realistic enough to see that - except for Africa/South America - such a craft will be quite limited in it's abilities.
Here in Sweden we're pretty much free to land on all water except for a few lakes used as water reservoirs. Best country in Europe by far.

Riggerrob

Well, the Short Skyvan was originally designed to carry wheeled vehicles of the VW Microbus size, just drive it up the rear ramp and off you go... 'course it's not amphibious...

-Dana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ah! Shorts Skyan: "the box the Twin Otter came in."
I have many fond memories of skydiving from the Pink Skyvan in Germany and Astria.
Back when the disco song "Dancing On the Ceiling" was blaring in the Pink Skyvan's cabin, the pilot decided that we (20 skydivers) were bouncing around too much, so he pasted us onto the ceiling! Hah! Hah!
But you have not skydived until you have been inside a Skyvan stalled and spinning because all 20 skydivers jammed too close to the edge of the ramp!

Group Builder