American Eaglet Restoration... Oh boy this sucks

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Autodidact

The Szekely is not a good engine. It sounds like it would be less work to graft the A40 mount on and use that engine; it ought to be possible to square it with the FAA since it was certified for that engine and you would just need the drawings for the mount.

Michael Eaglecraft

I would love to see picture of what you have found in side the wings of your Eaglet. I been looking over my blue prints and there seems to be only two wood spars on either is of the aileron and possibly a piece of wood in about the middle of the curve of the wing tip. That is assuming I am reading everything right

piperpilot1363

The rot is at the base of the aileron on the rear spar, about a 2x3 inch patch. I'll get some pictures of the wing next time I'm out at the shop.

In regards to all this talk about the Szekely being a poor engine, I know its no Lycoming in regards to maintenance and reliability, but I know of a few people who fly behind them with careful prep and maintenance. Whats your reasoning for not liking it?

Cheers,

Andrew

TFF

I would give the radial the best chance I could, but be prepared to punt. I am sure the crank bearings are ball bearings. Unless they are good with no rust or an off the shelf version can be bought, it can cost a lot to rebuild. Even if not able to be airworthy, I would still want to here it run. It would be cool on a stand and do demos; 2 minute runs.

Tiger Tim

The thing about any 'marginal' old engine is to always always always be within gliding distance of a place to land. Not just a space that probably won't kill you, but a place where you could see yourself actually landing and taking off there if you had permission to do so. Also, I highly recommend getting your hands on all the period Szekely literature you can, those guys knew what they were talking about because they ran them day in and day out.

I fly an A40 powered Cub (or two) and those are essentially the rules I operate by.

-Tim

Autodidact

The Szekely 45 hp, 3 cylinder engine can be repaired but you're not going to fly behind it.
I would give the radial the best chance I could, but be prepared to punt. It would be cool on a stand and do demos; 2 minute runs.
People do still fly behind the Szekely, and people do still have a cylinder blow completely off of the crankcase and flop around on that cable while the pilot tries to ignore the insanity three feet in front of him and look for a place to dead stick it in...

At best, Turd Ferguson's reply could be modified to "you're not going to fly behind it for long."