American Eaglet Restoration... Oh boy this sucks

Discussion in 'Classics' started by piperpilot1363, May 10, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 14, 2013 #21

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Does it have to come completely apart? Rot on the last 4 inches might be able to be repaired in situ by scarfing in good wood?

2. Sep 14, 2013 #22

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

The Szekely is not a good engine. It sounds like it would be less work to graft the A40 mount on and use that engine; it ought to be possible to square it with the FAA since it was certified for that engine and you would just need the drawings for the mount.

3. Sep 15, 2013 #23

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

The Szekely 45 hp, 3 cylinder engine can be repaired but you're not going to fly behind it. An A-31-1B can use a Continental 0-170 series so that is not an obstacle.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #24

Michael Eaglecraft

Michael Eaglecraft

Michael Eaglecraft

I would love to see picture of what you have found in side the wings of your Eaglet. I been looking over my blue prints and there seems to be only two wood spars on either is of the aileron and possibly a piece of wood in about the middle of the curve of the wing tip. That is assuming I am reading everything right

5. Sep 16, 2013 #25

piperpilot1363

piperpilot1363

piperpilot1363

The rot is at the base of the aileron on the rear spar, about a 2x3 inch patch. I'll get some pictures of the wing next time I'm out at the shop.

In regards to all this talk about the Szekely being a poor engine, I know its no Lycoming in regards to maintenance and reliability, but I know of a few people who fly behind them with careful prep and maintenance. Whats your reasoning for not liking it?

Cheers,

Andrew

6. Sep 16, 2013 #26

TFF

TFF

TFF

I would give the radial the best chance I could, but be prepared to punt. I am sure the crank bearings are ball bearings. Unless they are good with no rust or an off the shelf version can be bought, it can cost a lot to rebuild. Even if not able to be airworthy, I would still want to here it run. It would be cool on a stand and do demos; 2 minute runs.

7. Sep 16, 2013 #27

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

The thing about any 'marginal' old engine is to always always always be within gliding distance of a place to land. Not just a space that probably won't kill you, but a place where you could see yourself actually landing and taking off there if you had permission to do so. Also, I highly recommend getting your hands on all the period Szekely literature you can, those guys knew what they were talking about because they ran them day in and day out.

I fly an A40 powered Cub (or two) and those are essentially the rules I operate by.

-Tim

8. Sep 16, 2013 #28

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

People do still fly behind the Szekely, and people do still have a cylinder blow completely off of the crankcase and flop around on that cable while the pilot tries to ignore the insanity three feet in front of him and look for a place to dead stick it in...

At best, Turd Ferguson's reply could be modified to "you're not going to fly behind it for long."