• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum rib design options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Hello everyone

Well, Iv'e been spending hours studying and researching aluminum aircraft wings. It seems the standard in aluminum construction wing design makes use of a rib that's pounded or formed on a die that ends up creating a C shaped rib. But what about a little different approach?

In another thread Duncan has been looking at the option of building wood and fabric wings for his project. I wrote a post in his thread about my Taylorcraft wings being a wood spar, aluminum rib fabric covered wing. After thinking a while about it I grabbed an extra rib I have and started to study it. It's really a different type of rib because the edge of the rib is rolled over which makes it as stiff as a wood rib. I would have to research it but I think the ribs from the factory were hydro formed. Anyway, I went over to a buddies hanger where he is building a Sonex and checked out my Taylorcraft rib to his Sonex rib and the difference is staggering. The stiffness of the Taylorcraft rib must be 3-4 times that of the Sonex rib.

It makes sense that Taylorcraft had to manufacture it this way given the fabric covering. But what about an aluminum wing? Would that aid in a stronger aluminum wing? To make a rib with a rolled edge complicates things a little but it might be worth the trouble. Of course the standard rib gets real stiff when riveted together so maybe it just doesn't make sense.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of an aluminum wing being built that way of has any comments on what this might add to the structural value of the wing.

Mike

Back