Quantcast

Aluminum Prop Hub?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Head in the clouds

Has anyone ever tried an aluminum prop hub?
considering making one for light weight....
I'm wondering if it will take the stress, etc...:ponder:

I'm wondering whether you're referring to the hub or the drive flange?

I've seen more aly flanges than steel ones, but plenty of steel ones as well.

My Bolly (highest regarded props in Oz) has a two piece split hub made from aly which clamps the three blades between the two halves. With adjustable blade props I've never seen a hub made from anything except aly, carbon fibre or some made from plastics with embedded steel plates.

So aly is fine but proper design is essential. There are many examples of them so you don't need to re-invent the wheel, do some googling and have a look around at airstrips etc. It would probably be cheaper and safer to buy one than to make it...

clanon

That would be the flange; and i think that the usual material will be steel (4140 or 4340) and to get the same strength you'll have to use a lot more material and almost same weight...and torsion ; torque and vibration pulses (direct drive)could be a problem for aluminum...
Hope somebody corrects me...

Head in the clouds

That would be the flange; and i think that the usual material will be steel (4140 or 4340) and to get the same strength you'll have to use a lot more material and almost same weight...and torsion ; torque and vibration pulses (direct drive)could be a problem for aluminum...
Hope somebody corrects me...
There's nothing to correct clanon, you're quite right.

Plenty of flanges are made from aly but I think that's purely for convenience of machining. An aly flange has to be made much thicker than a steel one so I don't think there would be any weight savings.

RenaatXS

I have machined and used an aluminum prop hub out of T6061 aluminum. Works fine by me... It's quite beefy but I can always take away some excess material.

dino

HBA Supporter
Here's one made of 7075-T6 for an EA81 subaru direct drive with SAE1 flange.

Dinosub hub1.jpgsub hub2.jpg

cbonnerup

RenaatXS,
Nice work!!
Looks like my PSRU (eventually) will be just a bit longer than your Direct-drive flange adapter. I too am considering 7075-T6 AL for the prop flange of course the hub (commercial prop). Ease of machining (klutz) is important to me, even if weight loss (compared to 4140) is minimal. Mine will be on a pusher (autogyro).
Chris