• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum Plate Engineering/Forming Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I am hoping that someone will be kind enough to share a spoonful of formal education and/or technical knowledge with me.

I need to form a pice of 3/4" or 7/8" thick 7075-T6 aluminum plate. The piece will be aout 3.5 to 4 inches wide. Yes, it's for a landing gear. Yes I already know that Grove Aircraft makes landing gears.

I already know that 7075 aluminum, particularly in the tempered (T6) condition, really prefers not to be bent.

But I want to bend it anyway, and I want to bend it in the T6 condition (time, cost).

I have seen some "minimum bend radius" charts that (apparently) show 7075-T6 CAN be bent, but you have to increase the bend radius quite a bit. Those bend radius charts all seem to stop at .190 and .250 sheet thickness, and something like 7-10T min. bend radius.

My question is: If I want to bend a .750 or .875 thick plate that is already in the T6 condition, just how large does the minimum bend radius be, in order to not have structural difficulties with the metal ?

12T, 14T, 20T???

Back