• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum Panel Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

So I decided to try to build a flat aluminum panel for a Velocity.

I ordered the aluminum .080 sheet with the bottom edge rolled forward.

The panel will essentially be two Skyview 10 inch systems with the Dynon com radio, the knobs, and the autopilot controller.

The other radios/nav will be a GNS430 and a SL-15.

It will have a USB port to charge my iPad and the interface for the gear and ELT...that is it...

So all of the holes will be square.

I am thinking about using 1/4 inch bar of aluminum to back up the panel to make it more sturdy...AND...I am hoping that this bar if placed behind the Dynon will be used to drill and tap the threaded hole so as to secure the screens (as opposed to nut plates).

I will have it power coated.

The big hesitation is the printing of the text on the panel...If I use a label maker the clear film is visible. I was thinking of ordering a stencil.

Has anyone gone this route???

Any advice or suggestions???

THANKS!!!

Back