• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum or Steel tube?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akhunter21

Hello, I’m new to the group so sorry if this in the wrong area. I’m interested in building a bush plane, debating on going with kits or building from scratch. Just want to get some info or opinions, if I were to do a scratch build would it be better to make the framing out of steel or aluminum? I was thinking something like the Bearhawk 5 when the plans are available if I decide to go down this route. My background is mainly in the marine industry working on small steer cruise ships, along with some big amazing aluminum day boats they build. I get aluminum is light, and steel is a tad bit stronger and with aircraft especially with bush flying you want a good power to weight ratio, but don’t want to have the back part of fuselage to deform or break on lands with a decent amount of weight. I know there’s a lot to take in consideration on other stuff (wheels or floats, wheel configuration, engine, size of fuel tanks, amount of passengers I can take, weight of their gear for hunting trips). Thank you in advance for any help or insight!

Back