I have been playing with a new FEA....here is same rear spar attach RH fitting in Grape and Simscale..... Applied 800# Tip load in the "Negative Airplane Y Direction" is shown... Grape is not in aircraft geometry but I have oriented the parts the same way here.
still plugging away....shown plotting the rear spar on Mylar......drilling rear spar and checking hinge of aileron location ......interesting assembly issues when the hinge half is going to be riveted to the lower cap of the rear spar, along with ribs and drag spar not shown. Still thinking this through.
Bolted the overlaps....rear fitting, started riveting of LH Rear spar. Blue tape is where I do not want to rivet because ribs and gussets go there at assembly. In the past marking was not good enough to keep me from putting rivets where I did not want them just yet.
finished LH rear spar.....blue tape is where the ribs are. all stiffeners are on inside because fabric will be attached to the aft side of the spar,...also shown cap overlaps, how I made a 22 ft long spar with 4 ft. long cap material cut from sheet.
Tried to store the rear spar near the ceiling, but it was too flexible as it was, added a built up wood stiffener, realized would need 5 hands, ladders etc, so ended up taping to the side of the benches.....It remains to be seen if this is too flexible on the aircraft, the aileron will keep it straight at the hinge line, and the ribs/gussets/fabric might be enough, .....will see at assembly if I have to add an angle to the top cap. The stress analysis was good for the direction of loading (shear) .
cutting caps for main wing spar,....there is .05 inch taper in 48 inch cut. the width of the first cap is 1.00 on the big end, and .90 on the little end. The fixture I made cuts picture perfect if it is set up correctly, which is a PTA. to do with my "classic table saw".
looks little more impressive now.....everything seem to fit ok.. ribs pretty much line up....making stiffeners and thinking about the assembly process. Probably will have to build the more tables I have cut, and clean out the basement some more.
Drilling lots of holes, Drilling square holes on the table for the bolts.....can remove the front pulley to remove the cover....it is on a taper, slight tap with screwdriver under the edger of cover at the shaft. after the nut is off.
De burr and reassemble minus web...piece of scrap to keep caps and stiffeners from racking/moving. Plan is to be able to get to the nose ribs in the leading edge to position for drilling. The assembly is very rigid with just the stiffeners and caps cleco-ed together.
The battle of the Leading Edge.... Made two more tables........Tried to do it like the others I did on the tail .......2 mistakes and problems.....The wing top is more material than the bottom so I should have cut very oversize to allow each half to be the same when I taped up the trailing edges. Oh yes cutting the 31 ft aluminum was also interesting. Chapter 2 next post.
I used lots light plastic and rolled it and clips to secure the vacuum....that worked well as I could undo the clips and re-do I could not tape the trailing edge as the tape would not allow the two halves to suck down......also improved and clamped the pipe to each end of the part....just making the 22 ft pipe out of scrap water pipe was a story along with the clamps......still did not work as I had too much plastic that sucked to the bottom of the part and did not apply pressure where it was needed.
I think it was the 4th try that it sucked down .....bunch of dents I will have to deal with but tapped a few out already and it will be covered in fabric,....Stits sells a filler that is compatible with their stuff.
Finished the nose rib re-work. Made more temporary web pieces transferred from web for strength and stability as I locate and drill the nose ribs. Made templates/contour boards for each rib, using ratchet clamps and parachute chord removed the spring clamps and pulled the LE into the contour boards with the ribs located. Drilling soon I hope.