Just in time for Halloween.....it's like a corn maze......Now I have to figure out what the next step is, with hundreds of clecos I do not want to have to take it apart and put it back together any more times than I have to.
Finished to size 1/4 Dia. carry through bolts..... drill and ream....What a PTA ....
Shown the center wing attach fittings and tube structure for the Fuselage, cheap Chineese drill press and oh yes ,,,broke the ream on the last hole.
Notice the difference between drawn theroetical and actual hole location....make the caps bigger and trim later.
Main problem was I used the wing attach fittings full size holes for stress test of the boom, and now I had to duplicate the holes without cutting/buggering into the full size holes on the fittings. Should have done it in a Mill ...indicate the hole remove the fitting and bore.....but I do not have a milling machine. I used every trick I could think of.
bushings machined from 1/4x.035 4130 tube, 1/4 hole reamed in a 1/2 piece of steel clampped to the work, 7/32 end mill, 7/32 drill, D (.246) drill,.2500 ream, lots of assembly dissassembly.....the wood table would flex when I screwed the base of the drill press down to keep it from lifting when drilling......Now I wish I had the NC router.
and In order to stress test only one wing I have to drill the other half of the carry-through to attach to a fixture for stress test, plan is to do only one side because if I have to re-inforce it I only have to fix one side before I build the other wing.
Figured I better post so I do not get any demerits.....Rivet of the spar....one of my simpler fixtures to put on edge.....do not want to rivet and have the sag in the tables show up in the spar...... added shims under the less than perfect table and the spar straighten right up. I laid the drag spar out in the Cad, but wanted to check it with a string (if you can see the string)....More than 1/2 the way done with the rivet of the LH wing spar today.
been working on details for the spar in the flat as it is easier than after all the ribs/LE is added. Added mounting for tie downs, waiting for 1/4 nut-plates to finish. Two on each wing 1/3 and 2/3 out.
Obtained 5/16 x 9 x 12 A36 plate for the load test. I have to match the holes in the fuselage attach angles without messing them up....Because the spar is now riveted I can pick it up and drill into the base of the drill press for square holes....much better. Real pain to match holes always always drill finished size at assembly, however that I am load testing pieces of the structure separately I have to violate that rule....My stress shows that 3/16 bolts will be enough for the limit test so the caps will be drilled out to 1/4 for the RH wing at assembly.
tried to line up rear spar while attached to aileron to preserve the hinge line....but it did not work, .... too big, too unwieldy, and the aft portions of the ribs are not perfect and need shimming ....so now using the laser to line up the hinge line of the rear spar while I shim the ribs against the rear spar.
Wing flipped. Drag spar painted and installed. Final check of hinge line before rivet of 5 short piano hinges. Assemble of load test fixture (black steel center section) , and partial rear fuselage tube (less boom).....need to add nut plates to forward boom for blind bolt attachment. Then need to locate and weld the rear spar attach fitting (steel tube cluster) and bolt to the boom.
Finished the rear spar to fuselage fitting.....had some aluminum tube so made quick mock ups with clay to hold together, .....Don't look too closely at the welds. .....Need to add nut-plates so used clamps instead, there are bolts under the two big clamps. Could not get my hand into the tube without disassembly. Paint is drying as I type.