• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum Built UP Spar Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proppastie

For manufacturing and weight considerations, (I do not want to bend .04 2024-t3) I am considering a built up spar c-channel web with separate riveted flanges as shown in the attached file. Shown is the compression top cap, web, flange, and flat caps. Rivets are not shown. Would anyone like to comment on the stress analysis of this. We say the bending is in the caps and shear is in the web. That .016 attach angle is not considered in the web or cap calculations (or rather it is not necessary to meet strength requirements). Needless to say I am not comfortable with this but would like to see where it might fail, and be able to calculate it if possible. Any help would be appreciated. The Y should be Z sorry.

Attachments

• sparquestion1.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 480
Back