Aluminum 4.3 l Chevy Vortec block WANTED

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by whiteknight, Jan 23, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 22, 2012 #41

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

Edit by moderator.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Jan 22, 2012 #42

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

xxx

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #43

Karl

Karl

Karl

I have a BowTie Aluminum V6 4.3 std. bore Block and a set of Aluminum Pontiac heads.
    Block looks new heads have all new never run Del West titanium Valves, Valve Springs and keepers.
    Heads came with Jessell shaft rockers.
    These parts are made for some serious horse power.
    Retail:
    Block at Summit $4,600.
    Pontiac heads Bare $1,500 if you can find them.
    Jessel shaft rockers $851 at jessel
    Del West Valves are $125 each not counting the springs and retainers.
    That's $8450 retail
    All parts are in perfect condition...
    $3,000 takes all.
    Thanks,
    Karl.
    Karl.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #44

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  5. Feb 15, 2012 #45

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

I'm curious. How old is your engine? Is it complete with crank and cam. Is it 1 or 2 piece rear seal? I have more than your asking price in my cast iron engine.

6. Feb 15, 2012 #46

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

7. Feb 16, 2012 #47

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

Ben,
    That's exactly what had my curiousity peaked. I thought we had covered all this before. That engine is essentially a "one off" IF he has all the parts since there are no off the shelf parts to support it.

Jim

8. Feb 16, 2012 #48

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

9. Feb 17, 2012 #49

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

And - - - it's still not suitable for an aircraft conversion!

Jim

10. Feb 23, 2012 #50

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

Karl, is this your engine?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220961374144&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

[​IMG]

I couldn't help but notice that there is no crank or cam in this block. Surely you checked on obtaining these parts. What did your sources tell you about them. I sure wanted a set up like this, but I couldn't find a complete package anywhere. When I called summit racing, I got passed off to different people then given phone#s of other people to call because although summit list this part, they don't have it and couldn't find anything on it. It appears that you've had this for a while. It also appears that you bought it from someone else. It seems to me that the seller knew something you didn't and now you're trying to sell it to someone else with no parts. Shame on you Karl!

Jim

11. Feb 26, 2012 #51
    Re: Aluminum 4.3 l Chevy Vortec block WANTED....Have you looked at a Rover 4.6

The purpose of using the V6 block is to get lighter in the engine compartment. Using one of these engines puts you in an expensive predicament when considering the crankshaft, oddfiring harmonics and availability of suitable aluminum heads.

On the other hand the Rover V8 is readily available in either carb or fuel injected versions. The fuel injection is a nice compact unit with tubes (like the old Hilborns) that give good low end torque assistance. They have a pretty sturdy crankshaft and you can get 4.6 liters (280 cu in) from the factory. You can buy them dirt cheap. I have a rebuildable one that I paid $125 for. Aluminum heads, and block are standard. It bears a faint resembalance to an LS1 because the crank is raised into the block and the later model engines have 4 bolts to retain the crank. 2 bolts vertically, and 2 bolts thru the pan rails into the main caps. With a little machine work and creative parts selection you can build a 305 cu in (5.0 liter) version. With a little patience you can find crankshafts and aluminum heads from a 300 buick which will flow more air and lower the compression ratio. Probably for less than 3K you can assemble this all aluminum deriviate of the old 215 cu in Buick/Olds/Pontiac engine. A complete Rover will weigh about 300 lbs. Add a belted reduction drive and the all up unit without a prop should be less than 350 lbs. It puts you in contention with a certified engine. Or invert it like Steve Wittman with a direct drive and be even lighter. The Rover is an evolution of the Olds/Buick engine. You can build a comple engine for less than the cost of a V6 aluminum block.

12. Feb 26, 2012 #52

stol

stol

stol

xxxx

13. Feb 27, 2012 #53

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

GrizzlyV6

I like what I'm hearing. I did a mini search if you will and I like what I've come up with so far. I found complete engines for less that 2k. Of course this will require a much closer look. If you guys have some sources to suggest please do.

Jim

14. Feb 29, 2012 #54

Reply:There are several sites that can be located to get your mind thinking about the best combination for you. Look at some of the Bristish or Aussie racing sites. This engine is the "smallblock chevy" of the united kingdom. Also try D&D Fab-rications for info on building the larger cu in versions. I would look only for a 4.6 liter version on craigs lists and Ebay. Search for complete vehicles also, cause sometimes complete wrecked ones are available cheaply.
    The crankshaft is probably the initial biggest consideration. The stock rover factory crank is pretty robust. As far as I know, Rover does not sell undersize bearings for the crank, so the whole crank must be replaced. There may be aftermarket sources, but I can't say for sure. The original Buick engines had undersize bearings available but Rover changed the internal diameter of the bore in the alum block and made it appx .020 smaller. You can have a block align bored and honed to use the buick bearings, giving you the option to turn a crank undersize. Probably the easiest and best way is to stay at the 4.6 liter (280 cu in) which is 65 cu in or slightly more than one liter bigger than what was available to Steve Wittman and his tailwind. There is a very nice fellow over on the tailwind group who has been flying the aluminum Oldsmobile version for quite some time. He recently put a turbo on it too.

If you decide to reach for the 5.0 liter (305 cu in ) version, you should do some research on the internet, and buy a couple of books about it. If you do stroke it, you have to realize that your compression ratio will go up because you are compressing more cylinder volume into the same size combustion chamber. That will necessatate low compression pistons, and/or a set of aluminum heads from a Buick 300. They have larger chambers and larger intake runners.

15. Mar 24, 2012 #55

FINNEGAN

FINNEGAN

FINNEGAN

I came across this thread by way of a Google search. Anyway, thought I could help out with some info about the 4.3L V6 and available racing parts.
    The current GMPP catalog has incorrect info about the aluminum blocks. GM sells and has in stock two versions of the aluminum block. Neither one has a wet sump oiling system or mechanical fuel pump mount. The difference is that one block has 350 sbc main bearing journals and the other has 400-size journals. Both come from the factory bored to 4.115, read to hone to 4.125-inch. The catalog lists one as having a 3.980 bore and it doesnt. I know this firsthand because I bought a block thinking it was wet sump and ready to hone to 4.030 for a set of pistons i already have.

as for what parts are out there to complete an alumimum block V6...
    GMPP has the 18-degree heads for sale, but you'll need shaft rockers for them and custom pistons.
    Brodix makes 23-degree heads that do not need expensive shaft rocker arms.
    Edelbrock still makes the intake manifold
    Moldex still has even-fire (not split pin) 3.400-inch stroke crankshafts. I just bought a NOS crank from them for $1,000.00.
    Moroso still has the pattern to build the dry sump oil pan and the custom division of the company will build them. Not an off-the-shelf part but at least its still available.
    With the Moldex crank I am using 6.00 long Lunati rods designed for an SBC.

hope this info helps.
    -FINNEGAN

16. Mar 24, 2012 #56

Reply: Sounds like you are well on your way toward having an excellent setup. What do you plan to use it in? What comp ratio do you plan to run? Carb or injection?

17. Apr 26, 2012 #57

frank baber`

frank baber`

frank baber`

Hello everyone I have a block 14011069 aluminum-all parts from a 4.3 will interchange.Has wet sump oiling and fuel pump boss.Have a billet crankshaft split journal-forged rods and 4.030 9 to 1 comp.forged pistons for this block-also a pair of new bare aluminum heads.If someone is interested they can email me.
    Doc