Quantcast

Aluminium cowling doors - chafe tape to save paint?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Battson

So I have noticed that paint doesnt hold up well to aluminium cowling doors being opened and shut against it. I figure with vibration the pressure from the camlock fasteners will cause to cowl doors to wear all the paint off the bottom cowl. I was thinking about putting on some chafe tape.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that, yay or nay? I can easily change the camlock recepticals to accomidate the extra thickness of some chafe tape. But then the doors wont sit as flush and I worry it might look a bit of a bodge-job....

Opinions welcome.

litespeed

What is chafe tape?

My best solution is forget the paint and polish the alloy:grin:

Phil

Dan Thomas

Polishing won't help. The aluminum surfaces move against each other and cause fretting, which grinds the aluminum away until nothing is left. Chafe tape is the way to go. There's the old cotton stuff that you glue on, and there's the newer polyurethane (I think) stuff that's a peel-and-stick affair. Both work well. The polyurethane is thin and tough and we use it on certified aircraft in places where we find fretting.

Dan

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Polishing won't help. The aluminum surfaces move against each other and cause fretting, which grinds the aluminum away until nothing is left. Chafe tape is the way to go. There's the old cotton stuff that you glue on, and there's the newer polyurethane (I think) stuff that's a peel-and-stick affair. Both work well. The polyurethane is thin and tough and we use it on certified aircraft in places where we find fretting.

Dan
Aircraft Spruce and other suppliers sell the chafe tape. Hmm--Teflon chafe tape with self-stick adhesive backing. As the old joke goes . . . how do they get the adhesive to stick to the Teflon?
Thanks for the thread and the info, Dan. I need to order some of this for some spots on my aircraft.

Battson

Dan
Bugger - I only knew about the cotton type. The peel-n-stick number sounds like a much better solution. I'll look into it.
Thanks Dan.