• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

alternato/battery compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalek56

I know i should post this in the VW section but i want a larger audience with all their expertise.
I have a Vmax with an 1835 VW engine. the charging system is a belt driven alt
with what i believe is a mini regulator. there are no numbers on the alt...no
casting #, no amp rating, etc. on the regulator there are numbers SK3680
9528,,,but again no output rating. the plane had been using a standard
lawnmower battery that i would like to get away from and use a lith LIFePo4
style battery. i do nnt have electric start so the systen will only be running
strobes, nav lights, radios, etc. the batteries i have looked at had an output
that worked but the rate of charge was a lot smaller than that of the lawnmower
battery. how can i match my charging system up to the lightweight lith ion bat? i dont want to install a new ( and expensive ) battery just to have my system overcharge it and cause damage..
below is a pic of my alt..

Attachments

• alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 599
Back