Quantcast

Alternatives to fabric cement

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

keith103

Hello forum,

I need to patch up a small 2 inch by 2 inch area of fabric, which I had cut open recently to do some repairs to the structure inside. (The cut-open area is on the horizontal stabilizer.)

My Minimax was covered fully using Ekobond and latex paint about 18 months ago. I really liked Ekobond.

Is there an alternative to Ekobond or 3M Fastbond, both of which are available only in a minimum of 1 quart packing.

I had purchased 1 quart of Ekobond for a previous repair job about 8 months ago, and most of the remaining cement ( almost a full quart ) was stored safely, but when I opened the cement for the present job, I found it fully lumped up and unfit for any use. So basically if I buy one more quart now, I end up using a tiny quantity now and the remaining will again go waste. I need a small packing, say about 4 oz.

Is the following item a good choice for a small fabric repair to dacron ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tiger Tim

Maybe see if someone within a reasonable driving distance of you is currently doing a covering job with the stuff and see if you can buy a baby food jar’s worth off of them?

delta

They may make a thinner/reducer for the Ekobond that would de-lump enough of your stuff for a patch that small. ??? Is the 3M Fastbond contact cement similar to their weatherstrip cement?

Victor Bravo

2 inches by 2 inches??? Find an old R/C model airplane builder and ask for a scrap of Solartex, Oratex, Fabrikote, etc. in the color you want. Then buy him a beer and ask him to iron the patch on for you with his covering iron. Done.

TFF

I have seen vinyl tape used to hold down peeling fabric. There use to be a covering system that used Pliobond glue which is pretty much 1300L or similar stuff in the tube. Seen duct tape. Most of these covering glues are contact cement of sorts. The question comes will it eat the paint you have or will it stick long term. I would go with the vinyl tape personally if not going to use the right stuff.

keith103

Thanks for all suggestions. I didn't know Ekobond was available in a 4 oz packing at Stewart's systems. But with shipping, it comes to around 27.00 for 4 oz.

I found 3M Fastbond 1 qt, on Amazon (with free shipping for prime members) for 36.95. the only issue is that this is of neutral color. I would have preferred the same color ( bluish green ) as Ekobond. But those are harder to find.

I have not used this before, but folks who have, said it works same as Ekobond, with water clean up. Some said Ekobond is in reality Fastbond, just repackaged and re-branded by Stewart. Not sure about this, though.

Also I will transfer unused cement into smaller containers with no air trapped inside, and properly capped, and hope they last longer.

Actually I would have gone in for Gorilla glue if I had not found a deal on 3M Fastbond.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Duct tape is a type of tape, Duck Tape is a brand. Cheep, if I recall. Much better ones out there. Gorilla tape is really good, not cheep. Don't think I, personally, would use gorilla glue on anything I was leaving the ground with. Just my experience though, YMMV.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I bet E6000 would hold pretty good. I glued Scout badges to my boys uniforms with the stuff, and they have survived camping, and the washer/dryer.