Aloha from the San Francisco Bay Area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by noob8844, May 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 19, 2019 #1

noob8844

noob8844

noob8844

Hello everyone! I'm from the Bay Area and am trying to design and build a budget ultralight. I've always wanted to fly and own a plane, but unfortunately, I'm no lottery winner. So, I've decided to try to design and build an affordable and portable ultralight that myself or anyone else can make in their garage with a table saw, a drill, a few hours of pilot lessons (or bowling ball sized testicles) and some ingenuity. I'm currently an engineering student so I roughly have the textbook know-how, but lack the woodworking and flying experience to make an effective design; so, I'd love to hear from yall and read up how others have designed and built their planes.

2. May 19, 2019 #2

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Soooooo...any flying experience at all? Model building? What designs out there have you looked at? How big are You, what is your budget, do you have an engine picked out, can you weld, how big is your workspace...SO many questions to answer first. It is generally cheaper to buy a used ultralight than build one--let alone design one. But it has been done. Look at the TEAM Minimax for all wood inspiration, and the Legal eagle for wood and steel.

3. May 19, 2019 #3

noob8844

noob8844

noob8844

I got zero flying experience; I'm looking into taking a few lessons towards an LSA license though. No models made yet. I do have experience working with my hands with rocketry, composites, etc however. I've looked at simplexaero's designs for Zing and Cloudster, youtuber petersripol's ultralights, and am basing most of my design off of design and technical manuals such as this one:
    https://soaneemrana.org/onewebmedia/AIRCRAFT DESIGN ; A Conceptual Approach BY DANIEL P RAYMER.pdf.
    I'm about 194 pounds and am designing the plane to carry a gross weight of roughly 500 pounds. The fuselage is around 2 feet wide, so it should fit most people, including me. I got a budget anywhere from not a lot, to about 3 grand. My design is going to be all wood, and I've got a mediocrely sized garage to work with. In theory, I should be able to build everything for about 1-2 grand, minus the engine. I'm looking into one of those duromax's 18 HP engines, though the 2 stroke section on this forums has some good stuff I'm looking into.

The Minimax's have very similar truss-fuselage characteristics as some of the other ultralights and planes I've looked at. My current design has thicker trusses (2x2") and from the looks of it, seems excessively stronger compared to the minimax which I'll consider toning down a bit after I perform the FEA for it.

4. May 21, 2019 #4

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

I say "Gopher it!" I bought my first airplane with my brother and "zero flying experience."
    Percy