All Metal 'STOLLITE'

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Joined
Feb 21, 2020
Messages
474
Location
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
OK, that first post was a LONG time ago, and I had to look to see which 'low wing' you were referring to.
I'll have to admit (again) that I have a bad habit of not getting projects finished, and unfortunately this is one of them.😟
I will however try to get around to documenting the build up to it's current status.
I called it, the LR-2.
View attachment 108642
Don't ask me how I get that far in a project and have it grind to a halt, it's too long and frustrating.😒


Thanks for sharing that information. I think the LR 1 is a super clean and sexy looking plane. I love the lines and entire concept. It has the look of "I dare you to come pull some G with me"!

I would very much like to see some build pictures and hear more about the design process and any other details you might want to share.

I too am guilty of unfinished projects but those are all non aviation related. LOL

You are obviously very talented and gifted. Your craftsmanship is superior in every way. Your creativeness is second to none.

Thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Yellowhammer
 

pylon500

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
341
Location
Taree Airport Australia
My initial ideas for the undercarriage was for a single leg per side, but once assembled, and looking at the undercarriage on the DH Beavers I regularly worked on, I realised that braking loads would probably bend the legs backwards, so a compressive drag link was needed. While I could have set a jig to align the rear pivot with the front pivot and just weld in a bush tube, it was quicker to weld a nut near where the pivot would be, and screw in a rod end.
Two pieces of T section were then riveted to the skin across an internal bulkhead, and bolt in the rod end.
068_U_C_drag_bracing.png
The wheels and brakes used were Azusa 8" complete kits from Spruce;

Azusa_wheels.png
(they were cheaper when I bought them, and they are actually more expensive than shown now!)

I never took any photos of the lower axle setup, but a unit was made that fit into the end of the leg and had the axle slide into it. A tang was welded at the bottom of the unit to attach the brakes.
One bolt held the unit in place on the leg, and another bolt held the axle in place. A machined aluminium block was held by both of these bolts, that formed the adjustable end for the brake cable.
Stollite26.JPG

Looking back on this project now, I see that of all the 'progress' photos I took, many don't really explain very well of how I got to where I was, or detail many of the important little details that people tend to look for...
'Sorry about that Chief!'
No details of the control stick, no details of the rudder system, no detail of the trim system, no much on the tailwheel... 🤷‍♂️
Only detail I have of the tailwheel is this;
067_Tail_Wheel.png
Which I shall describe as, 'a modified tailwheel from the earlier mentioned LightWing, fitted with a remote unlocking cable, the unit pivoting on a fixed vertical bolt and bush.'
The rudder cables ran from the pedals into the cabin floor through fairleads, and back to an 'idle swing-arm' under the rear floor. This 'swing-arm' was a fabricated sheet aluminium beam with a central pivot (an aileron belcrank bearing), which would carry all braking loads from the rudder pedals, and not impose these loads onto the lower rudder hinge bolt. From this swing-arm under the rear floor, the two rudder cables ran under a pair of fibre pulleys, where they then headed towards the top of the fuselage at about a forty five degree angle. These cables terminated at a D shackle each, whereupon four cables continued upwards towards four fibre pulleys, then two of the cables continuing to the rudder, and the other two cable going back down to exit at the lower rear of the fuselage and connect, via springs, to the tail wheel.
(Pictures always make more sense)
Stollite_profile.png
The shot, while a little non-descript, shows the rear cabin/baggage area floor, and the two access holes to where the rudder cable are bolted to the 'swing-arm'.
061_Cabin_floor.png
The hole at left of shot is one of the holes the aileron telemorse cables comes up from beneath the floor and crosses over at the roof-line into each wing.
These allow the wings to be folded without disconnecting anything.

I might mention here the prototype flap handle that was fitted to the floor next to the seat.
It worked, was a little awkward, and was only used for the first half-dozen or so flights before some interesting modifications began.
065_Flap_lever.png
Enough for now, next we'll try to get the wings on...👋
 

Latest posts

Top