All Metal 'STOLLITE'

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pylon500

G'Day from OZ,
I've just joined the group so thought I would wave the flag for my previous machine.
I call it the STOLLITE (STOL Ultralight)
This is my forth project, and second to be completed. (it's also been rebuilt and modified once) :rolleyes:
The wings came from my third project and were heavily modified.
The whole aircraft was actually put together as a Hack till I could finish my first project (the reality is even more convoluted than it looks) :confused:
I have a photographic history of the construction at the following website;
http://www.pbase.com/pylon500
It looks like I may not get to finish my first project for some time as I now have a fifth project which I'm hoping to go into production of as a kit.
Maybe once I've got my racer kit rolling along I'll toy with finishing it off.
Quick specs on the STOLLITE;
All metal, but with fibreglass wing ribs (seemed like a good idea at the time)
2 seat, but single control
Folding wings, genuine five minutes by one person.
582 Rotax powered
Can cruise at 80kts, but better economy at around 70kts
Minimum flying speed (flap and power) around 28kts
64 litres of fuel @ 15 litres per hour (70kts)
Empty weight 310kg (680lbs)
As an Aerospace Structural Fitter :gig: sheetmetal was the way to go, and if you look carefully you can see numerous adaptations of many GA aircraft concepts.
The cabin is 30" wide (skin to skin) so I also call it my flying arm chair :D
Arthur.

Attachments

pylon500

G'Day Spodman, I'm in AUSTRALIA, and I fly (and instruct) at a small field about 35 miles South-West of Sydney, called The OAKS
I instruct with The Sydney Ultralight Flying Club and we have a membership of around 60, at least 12 of whom are building something! :D
Here's my next project....
Arthur.

Attachments

PTAirco

Stollite ribs

Nice job! I was wondering why, with all your evident skill in sheet metalwork, you went for glass ribs instead of aluminium?

I wish I could manage to join two bits of sheet without giving the whole thing that 'instant vintage' look...

Sonnyj

Saweeeeet little b1rd,you must be very proud.I know I wouls be.
I was in Syd town in 1966 abourd the USS Hornet,Met a mate named Barry Drainsworth or Drainswater I cant remember but we had the best time I ever remember.We went to the board track races,man that was fun.I remember some of those little cars had a 3 cylinder engine in the front.Seems they stayed in a drift all the way around the track.Are there still any of those engines or cars around?I think Barry lived out need the Oaks anyway we had to ride a train to get to his folks home.Wish I could get up with him to see how he's doing.
Anyway keep up the good work you are very tallanted,onya.
G'Day Mate
Sonny

pylon500

why you went for glass ribs?
G'Day PTAirco, The idea for the fibreglass ribs came from a club member building a lightweight composite machine, and his method of rib making looked a lot quicker and easier than cutting odd shapes, punching lightening holes, filing all the corners and then hammering the flanges over and hoping they all end up the same shape! (mine usually do :D )
In hindsight though, having to clean the mould, wax, apply release agent, lay-up then wait till green or cured, then open the mould, trim, sand and de-flash the rib befrore starting all over again, actually took longer than the metal way. :rolleyes:
As I say, have a look at the pbase site to see most of the construction photo's.
Arthur.

antoniv

Very good design

You have planes or kit to sell?
I am very interested in constructing one.

believe that it is the airplane that it was looking for.

It remembers a little to a HiMax,

Tanks

antoni vidal nadal
Manacor Illes balears
spain

pylon500

OK, so here we are fifteen years later and many things have happened, I've stopped posting in blue for a start.😏
All the photo sites I was using have died off so most of this post doesn't make a lot of sense, as such I'm going to redo this thread while telling the story of teh Stollite.
Once I figure how to post in 'projects' I'll put my other builds in there.
Buckle up folks as here we go...

Armourkraft Stollite
This machine came about as a side line, I was building my second own designed ultralight, building at night at the aircraft workshop I worked in during the day.
That aircraft was my T-Star, a cross between a Cri-Cri and a Monnet Moni, which went through a few iterations, but has died a quiet death, hanging in the roof of my hangar;
T-Star.pngFull story on this machine elsewhere soon.

While building this I had an apprentice that got interested in flying and building, and was helping me some nights with the T-Star, but mentioned he wanted to build something himself, hopefully to be finished by the time he got his ultralight certificate.
I happen to have the wings from a previous ultralight that I rebuilt, which would save him some time, so all that was needed was a new fuse and tail.
These wings were built to go on a really bad ultralight that I bought, which needed so many upgrades and mods that by the time I finished, I had replaced about 80% of the airframe.:eek:
This is what it originally looked like;
ready.jpg
This is what it looked like before it got blown over and written off;
Mk_III.jpg
And this is how much I replaced!
leftovers.jpgYes, I'll do a story on this, the 'Super Cricket' at some time as well.

OK, so back to the Stollite... (tomorrow night) 😴

pylon500

As I said earlier, the wings were from a previous ultralight, and were up-graded for the Stollite.
Originally fabric covered with ailerons only, they were modified to have flaps, in wing tanks, and be fully metal covered.
Starting with a mould to make the fibreglass ribs, as mentioned earlier also, a profile is cut out from a piece of kitchen cupboard material and edged as it would be in a cabinet.
Bolted to a larger piece of similar material, and with a small 'dam' at leading edge and trailing edge (I used aluminium sheet held in place with plasticine) before painting with release agent.
Strips of fibreglass mat are then laid up to form an angle section across half the rib.
Once cured, the dams are removed, surfaces waxed and the other side 'angle' is laid up.
When the top and bottom angles are cured, they are drilled and bolted to the base sheet and the rib 'plug' can be removed.
Now a dam can be made at the location of the main spar (decide if you want to make leading edge ribs or trailing edge ribs), and an 'angle' is laid up for that rib.
With that angle removed, a second dam (the thickness of the spar), is laid up in the other direction.
The rear spar is created similarly and you end up with a mould that looks like this;
001_Rib_mould.png
I will point out that after making about 10 of the aileron ribs and realising I would have to make another mould piece to do the fixed trailing edge (remember, this is the wing for the earlier ultralight), I threw the lot away and folded ALL the relevant trailing edge ribs in one lunch break at work...😒
All this happened back around 1987 and photographed with a FILM camera (remember those?), so I didn't take a lot of them.

The wing spars were basically a 0.016" T3 web, with doublers at the wing and strut pickup points and ½x½x0.063 caps top and bottom. An extra cap was also fitted at the top above the strut point.
The wing panels were 12ft long by 4ft chord, about 8" deep, don't ask me about the section, it was simply freehanded onto the piece of wood and cut out!

Once the spars were solid riveted together and the assorted pick points bolted on, the glass ribs were riveted using 'Bulbex' rivets.
Here's a shot of the nose ribs being drill onto the spar;
002_Nose_ribs_on_spar.png
The white patch is a strip of 'Coremat' glassed onto the rib to stiffen it. I tried to make ridges and bumps on the mould, but they were a real pain, so the ribs were just left flat. The ribs were basically one layer of glass overall, but with about four strip layers inside the flanges.

Here the front and rear ribs are riveted to the spar, as well as the trailing edge spar, another folded 0.016" sheet;
003_Ribs+rear_spar.png

Next up will be forming the leading edge sheet and building the rest of the wing...
G'night for now😴

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
HBA is different strokes for different folks. There's a lotta dreaming and "creative thinking" that never amounts to anything other than that. ("I'm gonna"...do this or that and nothing ever comes of it, tomorrow is a new day). There seems to be more of that than it used to be. And fewer real builders and experimenters. Well, ok.
Then Pylon500 shows up with all this stuff he's built and without any mention on HBA before he did it. Pretty much on his own. I like that. My respects Pylon.

pylon500

Thanks for the compliments, and I will continue with this re-documentation of building the Stollite.
As mentioned, these wings were initially built for a former ultralight, and I'm using the photos of their construction, and will then document the mods done to create the Stollite wings.
So, with the main and rear spars made and the ribs added to create the base frame, I needed to make the leading edge skins. As the wings are 12ftx4ft, I planned to skin the leading edge in one piece, the position of the main spar and the depth of the rear spar amounted to getting a full sheet of 2024 T3 0.016", and cutting (from memory) a 7" strip along the length, which was later folded to become the rear spar.
Handling a twelve foot sheet of sixteen thou' requires care, and trying to form a leading edge that long is interesting.
As fate would have it, I just happened to have a couple of twelve foot long 'I' beam spars for another (actually earlier) project, which were just the thing to form the leading edge once I found a long, straight enough patch of back yard to press on.
I didn't want to use the concrete driveway for fear of scratching the sheet (yes I know, I could have used bed sheets or similar), so strapping the sheet into a 'tube';
004_Forming_leading_edge.png
I then took the other spar and began pressing the shape I wanted (yes it gets hot in Oz sometimes);
005_Calibrated_knee!.png
(I cant believe I was that young!)
So, after a bit of trial and fortunately no error, I had a leading edge skin;
006_Just_right.png
Which I then strapped to the wing frame and began riveting;
007_Closing_wing.png
This was a full 'D' tube wing with only one wing strut, the only drag bracing the first four rib bays being skinned to for a 'drag box'.
Here is the finished wing structure as intended for the original ultralight;
008_Finished_Cricket_wing.png
I'll start another post for the mods to Stollite spec.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Is the shepherd still alive? My 14yo terrier is goin down pretty fast.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
HBA is different strokes for different folks. There's a lotta dreaming and "creative thinking" that never amounts to anything other than that. ("I'm gonna"...do this or that and nothing ever comes of it, tomorrow is a new day). There seems to be more of that than it used to be. And fewer real builders and experimenters. Well, ok.
Then Pylon500 shows up with all this stuff he's built and without any mention on HBA before he did it. Pretty much on his own. I like that. My respects Pylon.
I like the builders logs and what you did on your plane today thread. That stuff is real.

pylon500

'Shepherd still alive?'
Sadly no, many years ago in fact 😣
Will get into the builders logs with the current project after this bit of practice...