Alex Strojnik inspects Mike Arnold's AR-5

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

sming

That's amazing, thank you!
Thank you for not editing it as well, very much appreciate the "fly on the wall" effect 30 years later.
To airplanes nuts!:beer:

Max Volume

some of the Movies on deck being edited are when Mike took me to Edwards Air Force Base when he worked for N.A.S.A. at their Dryden facility and when we visited Dennis Sanders and Drednaught at their home base...

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Very nice! Listening to Mike and Alex talk is very amusing. Especially the last 5 minutes.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
View attachment 115754Alex Strojnik inspects Mike Arnold's AR-5
hot off the presses after a marathon editing session - didn't want to load here for some reason - good night it's 4:37 am!

https://youtu.be/zcDEPt6WXi0
Interesting when (at about 10:00) Strojnik and Arnold discuss the wing's airfoil and smoothness. Strojnik ("Mr Laminar") and Mike appear to agree that, for low drag, the smoothness of the finished wing is as/more important than the airfoil chosen. Strojnik: "It is the quality of the wing that counts, not the airfoil."

Thanks for the video!

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Mode On:

I just combined the posts with these videos into one thread. Folks, spreading related videos around the forum makes it hard for folks to find them and see them in sequence. Please put series of videos together on one thread, and in order too.

Moderator Mode Off

Last edited:

Lendo

Interesting Arnold didn't understand the the comment of Pitch over Diameter (P./D.) reference as it's an important indicator of efficiency. I believe the optimum is 1.3 +, but I think Axel suggested the number 1. but I didn't quite pick it up, perhaps he might have meant a minimum of 1.
George

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'm with Mike, then. I hadn't heard of pitch/diameter ratio as an indicator of efficiency. Seems a lot would depend on the airspeed of interest and the RPM vs power curve of the chosen engine/PSRU.

davidjgall

I'm with Mike, then. I hadn't heard of pitch/diameter ratio as an indicator of efficiency. Seems a lot would depend on the airspeed of interest and the RPM vs power curve of the chosen engine/PSRU.
It is a reference to propeller efficiency so the power curve of the engine does not play into it. (That would be propulsive efficiency, not propeller efficiency.)

davidjgall

Some of the links above do not work correctly. The links to the individual videos are here:

Mike Arnold's AR-5 Up Close

Alex Strojnik and the AR-5 pt1 - warning! - airplane nuts only!

Alex Strojnik and the AR-5 pt2 - warning! - airplane nuts only!

Alex Strojnik and the AR-5 pt3 - warning! - airplane nuts only!

Alex Strojnik and the AR-5 pt4 - warning! - airplane nuts only!

Mike Arnold Composite Fabrication Seminar Clip

Link to the playlist: