Albatros D5a Project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flyvulcan

Log Member
Sheppo, it's looking very nice, even when wrapped in plastic! I shall look forward to actually seeing it at some point when I get back to Oz. Keep at it.

spduffee

Hello all,
Seeing how there aren't a lot of Mercedes D5, or similar, motors for sale on Ebay, how do you builders plan on powering the aircraft? Are there acceptable powerplant alternatives that will do the job? Hardcore replicators would scoff at the idea of putting anything but an authentic motor in such a work of art, but if you're going to fly it on an average man's budget, what to do?

ultralajt

Hi!

I was lucky couple of years ago, when I was invited to a local restoration club (Minima) to listen at mister Mayrhofer, who build two exact Albatros III fighters.
I was amazed by his lecture, knowledge and work.

Here are three videos, presenting his work. I hope it will be a nice addition to this thread.. to boost up the building process:

Mitja

Last edited by a moderator:

PTAirco

And here's how they did back in Germany in the old days.

I've never seen anything this detailed before, I hope they keep posting more of this kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirk_D

Hi Shep, have you considered an EL ford falcon engine? I have unreliable information of google that they weigh in at 195kg bare engine.
At that weight, with bespoke wafer thin manifolds and direct drive, maybe even stroke it with 300ci usa ranger truck crank?
It wont be easy to keep the weight down, if it can be kept at 250kg i reckon maybe a winner? Unsure, I've never built a plane.
Are there weight classes of experimental aircraft? maybe an all alloy Volvo 5 with turbo hidden under sump would be in the range of 160kg?
Most importantly would a long, thin engine with huge torque to emulate the original without building a monster plane.

Magnus Wallner

Nice build.

Another engine to consider, if one can be sourced, would be the Chrysler in line six (ie slant 6) with the aluminum block. Not too many were made, I've only seen one IRL, and I don't know the weight but it should be lighter that the cast iron version.

TFF

It is a big airplane as far as homebuilts go. The original engine is about 700 lbs. He needs iron; original engine is 800 cubic inches. He is over on the Aerodrome WW1 site mostly.

dirk_D

If you wanted to build an engine, you'd need a catpillar C13 crank and lower internals, 6 lycoming barrells/heads/pistons/rods, you'd need to take a heap of steel of the crank to bring down the mass.
Cast your own lower case and sump in magnesium, these are only large brushstrokes, it could be done, but oh boy, 2 years of hard slog for 1 motor.
A team of machinists, a few cad guys, maybe 20 customers and maybe then a D3 for the 21st century could happen.

There are installation drawings scanned on the net, 7 inch bore pitch, 5.5 x 6.3 bore stroke, it's big, truck engine big.

TFF

The Vintage Aviator will make you engines if you have the cash. Big thing is it needs a big engine; you need the lump to get the weight and balance right. THe finished plane will probably fly at 2000 lbs so it is closer to a 4 seat airplane in size.

dirk_D

900kg in our language, we in oz are only allowed 600kg for a homebuilt, this build is in oz so iron block is most certainly a no go.
Well, I sure hope Sheppo can check back in soon and give us an update.
I feel like I'm thread jacking this, Sheppo, please come back??? :dis: