• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aispeed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Is there a rule of thumb regarding the theoretical / practical upper limits of airspeed for a given amount of HP? For example one might say that the upper limit of 100 hp is 200 mph provided the design is as aerodynamically clean, small, and optimized as practically possible.

I know there are a TON of variables such as prop efficiencies, landing speeds, fuel storage, aerodynamic shape vs. spar thickness etc - but I imagine over the years a trend has developed in such a way one could reasonably state that despite the best efforts of designers, there is an upper limit to what you can do with a certain amount of HP.

One day, I would love to build a plane that fits me and only me like a glove (I have a thing for very small planes), has an insane amount of power, and just plain goes REALLY REALLY fast. I can wish right?

I'm on Vicodin at the moment so if this does not make sense I'll try and clarify it later.

Jake

Back