Airsickness aids?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by poormansairforce, May 3, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 5, 2019 #41

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

It sounds awful. So, did she and baby get back in the plane to fly home, or did you make a long drive?
    I was in the back of an old C-130A with a fouled air conditioning pack (so, lots of bad smells) on a hot day and we were lightly loaded and down low. Awful. I was self-conscious about getting airsick until I saw that everyone on that plane got sick: loadmaster, flight engineer, navigator, pilot, copilot (they were taking turns on the low-level flight training. . .whoever wasn't flying had a bag open or ready).
    Yep--it happens.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. May 5, 2019 #42

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Yeah, we had the all the vents open as it was warm.

Thats what I call copilot chores. She loves planning and organizing so thats why I mentioned it. And this is a great thread since I can narrow down my choices.

BJC, thats what I needed, thx.

3. Jul 18, 2019 #43

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

My girlfriend has only about a dozen flights under her belt in small aircraft. Short trip to another airport and breakfast at first, going round the pattern in a Cub etc. Perfectly fine. Then we did the same breakfast run again and she started feeling bad. Got on the ground quickly. Next time we tried some Bonine (meclizine) and went on a long flight somewhere and back and she was fine. We even stopped and had a regular breakfast, not something I'd ever recommend to somebody who fears airsickness. No problems. I did install a better air vent before the next flight.

Next we went for a flight locally and I was teaching her turns. 15 minutes into it she started feeling bad and I headed home fast but too late. Thankfully I had brought ziploc bags. She almost passed out. Made it to a bathroom with severe abdominal pains etc. Ruined her weekend. Naturally she is extremely reluctant to get back in the airplane.

I have read about the usual remedies, air force studies etc and the key appears to be acclimatization. My plan is to get her up for very short flights. 15 minutes max. Then work from there. All after taking Dramamine or Bonine or something similar. Plan is to wean her off that eventually too.

I'm sure many guys here (women too? Apparently women are twice as likely to suffer from motion sickness ) have the same dilemma with their partner. For me this pretty damned important; I do not want top be one of those guys whos partner never goes near an airplane. It's a non-no for me.

4. Jul 18, 2019 #44

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Ditto! The problem with acclimation is then why does my wife still get sick in cars as she has been in them all her life? Just trying to figure it out. A key for her has been to do the driving in hilly areas, etc.

5. Jul 18, 2019 #45

Pops

Pops

Pops

My daughter's husband drove up a week latter in the start of their vacation so she didn't fly back home. Latter when she started with her flight lessons she didn't have any problems with air sickness.

Vigilant1 likes this.
  6. Jul 18, 2019 #46

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

Yep, i think that just doing it over and over will not fix her issue. My girl friend will not ride in the back seat of a car. She gets queasy and not enjoying the trip.

Richard

7. Jul 18, 2019 #47

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

I do think it is very important to fly when the air is calm and to let her take the controls of the aircraft (obviously, with you following along) and urge her to keep looking relatively straight ahead with minimal course and bank changes. If she's flying the plane and what she's looking at matches what her inner ear is telling her, she's far less likely to get sick. Fly when it is cool and keep the air moving inside the plane.
    In my experience, whether/what the person has eaten has very little connection to getting motion sickness (though the results . . .).
    Do take it slow. She'll likely quit trying if she keeps getting sick. It can't be "powered through"--I've known several guys who wanted to be pilots their whole lives and were very motivated to stick it out, but had to quit when the required pace of training was incompatible with taking a slow approach to overcoming their motion sickness.

8. Jul 18, 2019 #48

Pops

Pops

Pops

First airplane ride in 1953 and been flying all of my life and If I am not flying, just occupying a seat, I can get sick. I also remember getting car sick when I was 5/6 years old. If I'm flying, don't like neg G's.

9. Jul 18, 2019 #49

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

She may have true motion sickness.

Years ago Dr. Bill Monaco gave a presentation for the FAA on motion sickness and he said when some people move their focus to a new location, they move their eyes first and the head follows and others move their head first and they eyes follow. This is not something you can consciously notice, it's too subtle. Neither one is correct or incorrect but one type of movement (and I forget which was which) is more susceptible to motion sickness and usually those are eventually diagnosed with true motion sickness.

Flash back many years and one of my friends knew someone in Air Force UPT that had true motion sickness. Every single flight he would puke. So he would land and a pocket on his fight suit or glove would be full of puke. He ended up being washed out as he could not make a flight without puking. No acclimation.