Airplanes I've never seen before (from old magazines)...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Autodidact

I think that this Wm. Warwick is that same Bill Warwick that D&B'd the Bantam - pretty cool loking high wing; does anyone know if there are better pics in another old magazine? This is from December 1961 Flying article on the EAA fly-in:

WarwickChamp.jpg

Dan Thomas

Lobet Ganagobie:

ganagobie_n1949.jpg

Aerosport Quail:

1194677-medium.jpg

Baby Great Lakes:

1183B.jpg

Quite a few cute little single-seaters have come and gone. So impractical, so tempting.

FritzW

Log Member
If your only goal is to piddle abound in a simple little airplane and have some cheap fun, I think they're perfectly practical.

Apparently the doors and the turtle deck (rear cockpit former?) were removable so you could convert to a parasol on nice days.

Raceair

Warwick's high wing was the 'Tiny Champ'., and he flew it to Rockford , Ill. for the fly in at least twice, in the early 60's....It was his first homebuilt, and two or three homebuilders before him had started the project but had done very little work when Bill Warwick got it. These pictures are of its second look, it originally had a bungee type gear. He then went on to build the first ever T-18, then the Bantam, then an Owl racer, and a Cosmic Wind racer.....Quite a craftsman....

Autodidact

I'm starting to get the feeling that homebuilt aircraft plans are a lot like pop music; going back to the 1960s and a little earlier, there were lots of plans available that are more or less gone now, and the improvements are there in the new plans, but they're not really step changes (maybe occasionally). I really like the Aerosport planes.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I vaguely remembered an article from the EAA Sport Aviation archives on the Tiny Champ. I went back and found it tonight. It's by Bill Warwick, and it is in the February 1961 issue. He tells the story of how the aircraft came to be. It's one of those classic cobbled-together TLAR affairs, and got modified several times as it changed hands among builders, and again after Warwick finished it. Warwick got it for free just for taking it off the second owner's hands. Looks like the landing gear change occurred after Warwick's first trip to Rockford (from Southern California). He had a fuel leak which got progressively worse, and on his way home from Rockford had to make a precautionary landing somewhere in Oklahoma. The airplane got bent in the process. The article includes a picture of the fuselage, with pancaked gear, sitting in Tony Spezio's driveway. He obviously got it repaired, and made at least one more trip to Rockford with it.

Autodidact

I vaguely remembered an article from the EAA Sport Aviation archives....in the February 1961 issue.
Thanks, I'm always wanting to buy some old Sport Aviation issues, never know which one(s) to buy, and now I have a reason to buy a specific issue.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The EAA quit supporting this many years ago and it is for an older version of MS Windows. The last time I tried to load mine the computer did not like it.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A Quail with a 4 cylinder Jabaru would have the engine further forward, could use a taller LG, would look great, and perform really well.

BJC