AirplanePDQ

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Lucjon

Hey all,

I recently bought AirplanePDQ software. What happens is you buy the software through Paypal, creditcard, then wait for either the download link to be sent or its sent(cd) through the post....

Its been 5 days so far with no response...I emailed them yesterday with still no response...

Has anyone had any recent experience with this company...

http://www.davincitechnologies.com/index.htm

Lucjon

ah, have I checked "you" spam folder, ah no...please explain

if this is a scam why is no one warning about this

Last edited by a moderator:

orion

R.I.P.
The software is not spam or a scam however it s not as actively supported as a few years ago. I don't know the rate of response nowadays but as Hot Wings pointed out, the download link could have been caught by either your spam or virus software, or even by your internet provider's filtering system. I know a few other folks here have mentioned a slow response and minimal support so I would suggest, for now, try to keep in contact with Gil Crouse and get your concerns satisfied.

PTAirco

I tried buying it last year; demo download did work, but could not access it. Tried buying the full version - no response. Tried phone call - no response.

Pity, because it is a useful but of software and fun t play with for initial brainstorming.

AVI

If anyone's interested, I've got the AirplanePDQ full version purchased from Gil Crouse. PM for details.

Orion is right, the software is not actively supported. It took me phone calls and personal emails to finally get the developer's attention, but it is worth the wait. Gil is very decent about everything. You just have to be patient and persistent. The communication did come through eventually And it was not lost in spam space.

For 64 bit operating system software, you will need to work up a virtual machine solution in order to use PDQ. Do a search here and look at Autoreply's comments regarding this.

cheers

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Yep, he didn't respond at all after I got my copy and tried to see about having it upgraded. I've got an older version if you're having issues. PM me if you can't get a hold of him.

Apollo

If you plan to use Airplane PDQ for non-conventional configurations, be aware that it can provide inaccurate results - especially if strakes are modeled. When I modeled a Cozy IV in PDQ, the software predicted a neutral point that was almost 6" forward of the actual NP. This error resulted because I modeled the root chord of the strakes as a constant section across the fuselage. I had to taper the strake chords to almost zero and move them aft within the fuselage section to get the NP nearly correct. PDQ appears to use whatever wing/strake configuration that is modeled within the fuselage for its calculations.

The weight estimation tool is very flexible with a half dozen methods available. But the USAF and Cessna methods were off by 200 to 250 lbs for the Cozy's empty weight, whereas the Raymer, Stinton & Torenbeck methods were within 50 lbs. For unconventional designs, I recommend "reverse engineering" a similar plane so that you can calibrate PDQ's results. Once that was done, it was quite fun to experiment with different modifications to see the effect on the aircraft's performance.

I found the 2004 version was a decent and inexpensive tool for comparative analyses during the preliminary design stage. But if your aircraft has an unusual layout, PDQ should not be your only configuration tool. While accurate in some of its predictions (once calibrated), the software does not do CFD and the fidelity is relatively low. There were complaints on another thread that some bugs may be present in the latest version, so do a search on PDQ here at HBA.

Lucjon

Hi all,

just an update. Still no response from Da Vinci/Gil Crouse. Paid for the software on Feb 26, so its been nearly 4 weeks....

Started proceeding's with Paypal to see if I can get the money back(not hopeful)...hope this helps anyone considering buying the software...

dirk_D

All of this is because xplanemaker is so severely limited with its cad functioning, i am struggling to get a tricky shape into planemaker with the software seeing all its calculated surfaces and none overlapping, it's not easy, very time consuming.

I too wish PDQ was supported/upgraded/available.

Trung

If anyone's interested, I've got the AirplanePDQ full version purchased from Gil Crouse. PM for details.

Hi! I'm really interested in Airplane PDQ? May you share with me?
I wanna take a look at that as a reference for my study project on aircraft design.
Thanks,

AVI

Trung,

Sorry, PDQ is copyright, so I don't feel comfortable sharing it online.

cluttonfred

Last edited by a moderator: