• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airfoil Circumference and Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have created an Excel spread sheet for calculating the circumference and sectional area of an airfoil.

It is useful for getting a reasonable estimate of the surface area and volume of the wing. From these you can make a reasonable first estimate of the weight of the wing.

The airfoil data is entered in the first two columns (max 140 data points) in the DAT file format. Then enter the desired chord length (in feet, inches, meters, parsecs, etc) and the chord length of the D-tube section (as a fraction of the total chord). The circumference is given in the same units, and the area in the units squared.

I am quite tired :tired:as I type this, and my brain is too fuzzy to give more detailed instructions. If you have any questions, please ask and I will try to answer when I am more awake.

View attachment Airfoil Calculations.xls

Back