Aircraft wing stall analysis

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

vinumano

Is there any open source software to predict wing stall. I would like to see, drop in Lift force value and also Coefficient of Lift value at stall angle. If possible, 3d view of flow separation in the wing.

1. Is it possible to use XFLR for this purpose? (I have tried and could not visualize).
2. Is there any other software other than ANSYS Fluent?

Any help in technical information will be very much useful for me and will be appreciated!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Unless you are after the last 2% of performance you don't need anything more than a spreadsheet with the Schrenk approximation keyed in and either XFLR or JavaFoil to get an approximate stall at various Reynolds numbers.

High tech tools are nice but the learning curve time needs to be balanced with the "get'er done" time.

Norman

HBA Supporter
1. Is it possible to use XFLR for this purpose? (I have tried and could not visualize).
Absolutely not! Panel methods, such as Xfoil, JavaFoil, AVL, etc. are essentially inviscid flow solvers with a boundary layer thickness estimate to simulate some of the effects of viscosity. The results are fairly accurate within the linear range but after separation starts it can get wildly inaccurate.

AeroER

Use the method for converting 2D airfoil data to a 3D wing in Pazmany's book. You'll need a pencil, paper, calculator, ruler, and maybe a French curve. But mostly a pencil.