Aircraft specific information

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoreply

This topic is meant as a central overview of information for several different aircraft. It is limited to aircraft that are in the realm of home builders; certified, one-off, scratch-built, kit. Please note that these kind of topics can only live, thanks to the contribution of many different people. Your help, suggestions and input is highly appreciated and more than welcome.

Note that CTRL+F will give you a search window, so you can immediately locate the design you're interested in.

More information about contributing

Design overview

Bearhawk
Columban Cri-Cri
Kent? Rand (super) KR2

Mike Arnold AR-5/6
Rutan Quickie Q1/Q200
Serenity Spacewalker II/Warner revolution
Sonex
Starlight (Mark Brown)
Van's RV's
Velocity

Last edited:

autoreply

Asso V Champion

The two-place, spruce-and-plywood Champion was designed by Guiseppe Vidor in 1990 for the European ultralight category at a 993 pound gross weight.

HBA - "my asso V" Kalix's ongoing project - 2010-, 50+ posts
HBA - Mention of Asso V in "Wood designs by G. Vidor..." - 2005, 22 posts
HBA - Canadian builder Alain van Landschoot - 2008, 3 posts

EXT - Asso V description with Canadian contact to purchase plans
EXT - Kalix's gorgeous builder site with extensive photos (Italian)
EXT - Semi-active Yahoo group "Asso Champion V"

Bearhawk
EXT - Bearhawk build blog

Colomban Cri-Cri

HBA - Shannon's very detailed Cri-Cri build topic, lots of photo's
EXT - Yahoo Cri-Cri builders group
EXT - Cri-Cri tips and tricks

Fieseler Fi-156 Storch Replicas - Criquet, Ragwing, Slepcev

HBA - Discussion of Ragwing, Criquet, Slepcev Storch replicas - 2010, 20 posts
HBA - Brief description of Slepcev Storch flight characteristics by UK owner - 2008, 3 posts

EXT - Criquet Fi-156 Storch - 75% replica - S-LSA, E-LSA, or E-AB kit
EXT - Ragwing RW-19 Stork
EXT - Pazmany Aviation PL-9 75% Storch replica - PDF
EXT - US Criquet Distributor - U-Fly-It
EXT - Criquet Storch specs

EXT - EAA Sport Aviation 7/2010 issue, article "Storch vs. Storch" - discusses the Criquet replica
EXT - GA News 2/2011 - good text and photo overview of Criquet Storch
EXT - pre-2000 history of the Storch

Kent Rand KR2
EXT - Huge builders list

Kolb Aircraft

• Flyer (twin engine ultralight)
  • UltraStar (single engine ultralight)
  • FireStar I & II (single and two seat)
  • TwinStar (two seat side by side)
  • MKII (updated TwinStar)
  • MKIII & Xtra (updated MKII)
  • Firefly (legal ultralight)
The New Kolb Aircraft Company currently produces the MKIII, Xtra, and Firefly and may produce the FireStar on request. Homer Kolb retained the rights to the Flyer and UltraStar; with his passing the rights to these designs are unknown. All Kolbs are/were built from kits, and (with the exception of the Flyer) have quick folding wings. Kolb also sells (imports?) the Flyer SS SLSA, which is not a homebuilt and shares no lineage with any other Kolb design.

EXT: Kolb List at Matronics.com
EXT: Kolb UltraStar Yahoo group
EXT: The New Kolb Aircraft Company

Last edited:

autoreply

Mike Arnold AR-5/6

Rutan Quickie Q1/Q200
EXT - Quickie builders association

Serenity Spacewalker II / Warner Revolution

HBA - "Looking at Spacewalker II; who flies open cockpit?" 2010, 15 posts
HBA - "Revolution II / Spacewalker II" 2004, 13 posts
HBA - "Spacewalker performance ?" 2007, 4 posts
HBA - Spacewalker II mentioned in "Can someone recommend a beginner's plane?" 2010, 44 posts

EXT - Sport Aviation article 7/1990, "Spacewalker II" - PDF
EXT - Sport Aviation article 12/1995, "Revolution II: Scarf in the Wind Aviating" - PDF (Budd Davisson)
EXT - Serenity Aviation, OZ - worldwide provider of Spacewalker plans & kits - specs & info
EXT spacewalker.org - Spacewalker, Revolution photo site - some builder photos

Warner Aircraft, USA (Revolution II kits no longer available)
EXT - Revolution builder stories w/ photos (not linked on home page)
EXT - PDF InfoPack on Revolution/Sportster - out of date but good background (not linked on home page

EXT - Yahoo group 'spacewalker - Revolution and Spacewalker Builders'
EXT - Builder/engine info - Martin Hone Spacewalker II with Rotec radial engine - photos, video
EXT - Martin Hone Spacewalker II Youtube takeoff video
EXT
Staaken Z-21 Flitzer

The plans-built, single-place Staaken Z-21 Flitzer is a modern but period-accurate 1920s Golden Age biplane designed by Lynn Williams. The Flitzer uses spruce, plywood and fabric construction with VW-based power and conventional landing gear. In early 2011 there are seven Flitzers flying worldwide and an active builder community with over 50 under construction.

HBA - Flitzer biplane
HBA - Mention of Lynn Williams' assistance in Replica Spitfire thread

EXT - Flitzer Sportflug Verein (Sport Flying Association) - FAQ, Builder Logs, Photos, Designer Notes, Flight Reports
EXT - Flitzer specifications and variants
EXT - Article 'Flitzer: Nostalgia Now!' in August 2009 EAA Experimenter
EXT - Article on Z-21A in Kitplanes 2008 (subscription req'd)
EXT - Yahoo group 'Flitzer-Builders'
EXT - Mark Crawford's completed Z-21A Flitzer build log

Specifications:
Wingspan: 18 ft
Wing area: 97 sq ft
Length: 14 ft 9 in
Empty Weight: 480 lbs
Gross Weight: 750 lbs
Engine: 50-80 hp
Fuel Capacity: 10.6 US gal

Performance:
Top Speed: 95 mph IAS
Cruise Speed 75% power: 86 mph IAS
Clean Stall Speed: 42 mph IAS
Rate of Climb: 720 ft/min (@ 1500 ft)
Take Off/Landing Distance: 400 ft

Starlight (Mark Brown)
EXT - StarLite Owners Group - Info on the single-seat StarLite aircraft.

Sonex

Van's RV'

Velocity

Velocity aircraft are fast, 4-seat, composite airplanes in a canard pusher configuration. The company has been around for more than 20 years. With more than 300 completed aircraft flying, it is one of the best-selling high-performance kits and most-completed projects.

The canard configuration removes one of the biggest safety problems with high-performance aircraft: the risk of a low speed stall/spin. The Velocity is designed so that the canard stalls first, gently lowering the nose to the proper attitude to maintain safe airspeed. While the Velocity has performance characteristics comparable to the Lancairs, it boasts a 50% lower accident fatality rate! (Source: Ron Wanttaja, Kitplanes, 2010)

There are 2 models currently available, the SE and the larger XL. Both seat 4 people (a bench-seat opiton can squeeze 5.) Both are available with fixed or retractable gear. The fixed gear SE moves at ~160 knots (184 mph). The XL-RG will cruise close to 200 kts (230 mph). Add a turbo engine (and pilot oxygen) and one can reach 250 kts (287 mph) above 20,000 feet.
EXT - Velocity company main site - general info, specs, pricing
EXT - The best unofficial site: VelocityXL.com (includes resources for builders, wiki, forums, and a list of builder sites)

Wittman Buttercup

Steve Wittman built the 2-place rag-and-tube Buttercup in 1937; Earl Luce drew the plans and finished his "prototype" in 2002. Plans-built taildragger, 1320 pounds gross weight.

HBA - "Wittman Buttercup..."
2006, 12 posts
HBA - "Wittman Buttercup / STOL"
HBA - planecrazzy's Buttercup thread - 2010, 15 posts
EXT - Buttercup Replica Plans, Specs, Builder DVDs - Earl Luce, Luce Air
EXT - "Buttercup Reborn", Sport Aviation article 4/2003
EXT - "Buttercup", Sport Aviation article 5/1989
EXT - active Yahoo group: Buttercup STOL
EXT - Wings Forum - Wittman Aircraft (w/ planecrazzy's extensive build notes and photos)
EXT - Buttercup Component Kits - Aircraft Spruce

Last edited:

autoreply

Contributing yourself

Contributing links

Contributions of anyone are highly appreciated. You can contribute by posting in this thread. Please try to give suggestions as "complete" as possible.
First think of a title. On this thread for example we could use the title of the thread. But a descriptive title is better, so let's use "HBA - Very detailed Cri-Cri build topic, lots of photo's"

Now, take your whole title, select it and click the link symbol.
createlink.png
Paste the address of the topic/website and enter. The preferred layout is:
HBA - Your proposed link title
EXT - Your proposed link title

Links to specific posts on this forum are possible too. In long topics with only a few posts about the particular design, this is appreciated. Sometimes multiple designs are put in one list, because they're closely related.

It is possible that your contribution isn't included. This can be caused by being outside the scope of this forum (The SR-71 or Dreamliner for example), or because a design already has enough links and the links that are used are more relevant. There also is a priority in the links:

1. HBA topics about the particular design
  2. HBA topics, discussing general topics, but with a lot of attention to the specific design
  3. External "descriptive" links with a high information density
  4. Forums/community sites of builders
  5. Manufacturer sites
  6. Individual builder sites
Contributing new designs
The full name gets more people to their specific design. Letter size is 5 bold. Keep the names to one line, unordered list is handy

Pictures
To include a picture, simply attach it to the your reply. You don't necessarily have to put it in the message itself, simply as attachment is enough to put it in the text.

Other
Suggestions, hints and so on are welcome. Spelling corrections too :gig:

Copyrights and the like.
This topic is free to use, copy, multiply or change. Please do include a link to HBA or this specific topic if you're using (parts of) it.

Last edited:

autoreply

To-do list

*Better title
*Clearer text
*Lots of links
*Discussion of location (general or design section?)

Designs to be implemented:

Other designs that get lots of inquiries and need covering:
- Wittman Buttercup
- Wittman Tailwind
- Aerobatic homebuilts, e.g. One Design, Lazer
- Avids and Kitfoxes
- Bede BD-4B
- Glasair Sportsman 2+2
- Zenith STOL CH-701 and CH-750
- G. Lee Nieuports and other WWI biplanes

Last edited:

Jman

Site Developer
I'm really liking this AR. Thank you very much for doing it. Feel free to delete my post after you read it....

autoreply

I'm not sure if you want a description here or just links, so here is a link to the StarLite Owners Group - Info on the single-seat StarLite aircraft.
Thanks. The "ideal" contribution is as I've attempted to describe in this "how-to"

Cheers, Dan
You know what they say... a picture says more than a 1000 words:

It's looking a bit messy now, with the empty posts and still few designs, but that'll hopefully improve soon. I added pictures to the "how-to" too, both Reiff and Dan have shown that this is a good idea.

snaildrake

A couple of suggestions on shaping up the outline:
- Add a 25-word description of the design: designer, no. of places, application, category - E-AB, LSA, etc -
- Set maximum size of image - if you think my 800 pixel photos are too big, possibly 640x480
- Should we link a flying/demo video or not? (attachments definitely take up too much space)

As another way to motivate expanding the list, if you know of a *really good thread on a design, put it up here. I might just add it :). I was a bit surprised that my first two designs didn't have as much coverage as I thought they would.

Other designs that get lots of inquiries and need covering:
- Wittman Buttercup
- Wittman Tailwind
- Aerobatic homebuilts, e.g. One Design, Lazer
- Avids and Kitfoxes
- Bede BD-4B
- Glasair Sportsman 2+2
- Zenith STOL CH-701 and CH-750
- G. Lee Nieuports and other WWI biplanes

This is fun! Cheers, Dan

autoreply

First of all, thanks, quite a few new contributions, great!
A couple of suggestions on shaping up the outline:
- Add a 25-word description of the design: designer, no. of places, application, category - E-AB, LSA, etc
Sounds like an excellent idea. To prevent people from posting because their text might not fall into the "preferred format", I think that just a limit in length (2-3 lines?) is the way to go. I'll later update the "how-to" with your suggestions.
- Set maximum size of image - if you think my 800 pixel photos are too big, possibly 640x480
I prefer them a lot smaller actually, they're only to give you an idea. What works ideal if only attaching a picture to your post. The small format is large enough to see the design and clicking on it will give you the big picture. It does mean that I've to attach each picture to this topic which takes a bit more work, so I haven't done all of them yet.
- Should we link a flying/demo video or not? (attachments definitely take up too much space)
Why not. Instead of a picture, you can embed a video.
[video=youtube;q1pG9LylhzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1pG9LylhzQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]
They are a bit bigger though as I'd like to see.
As another way to motivate expanding the list, if you know of a *really good thread on a design, put it up here. I might just add it :). I was a bit surprised that my first two designs didn't have as much coverage as I thought they would.
Good point. I'll add a "designs to be done"-list :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reiff

Thanks for compiling everyone's good information. As requested, here are some remarks to add to the Velocity section. If this is too verbose, feel free to edit.

Reiff

=======================

Velocity aircraft are fast, 4-seat, composite airplanes in a canard pusher configuration. The company has been around for more than 20 years. With more than 300 completed aircraft flying, it is one of the best-selling high-performance kits and most-completed projects.

The canard configuration removes one of the biggest safety problems with high-performance aircraft: the risk of a low speed stall/spin. The Velocity is designed so that the canard stalls first, gently lowering the nose to the proper attitude to maintain safe airspeed. While the Velocity has performance characteristics comparable to the Lancairs, it boasts a 50% lower accident fatality rate! (Source: Ron Wanttaja, Kitplanes, 2010)

There are 2 models currently available, the SE and the larger XL. Both seat 4 people (a bench-seat opiton can squeeze 5.) Both are available with fixed or retractable gear. The fixed gear SE moves at ~160 knots (184 mph). The XL-RG will cruise close to 200 kts (230 mph). Add a turbo engine (and pilot oxygen) and one can reach 250 kts (287 mph) above 20,000 feet.

snaildrake

Re: Aircraft specific information - Staaken Z-21 Flitzer

Staaken Z-21 Flitzer

The plans-built, single-place Staaken Z-21 Flitzer is a modern but period-accurate 1920s Golden Age biplane designed by Lynn Williams. The Flitzer uses spruce, plywood and fabric construction with VW-based power and conventional landing gear. In early 2011 there are seven Flitzers flying worldwide and an active builder community with over 50 under construction.

HBA - Flitzer biplane
HBA - Mention of Lynn Williams' assistance in Replica Spitfire thread

EXT - Flitzer Sportflug Verein (Sport Flying Association) - FAQ, Builder Logs, Photos, Designer Notes, Flight Reports
EXT - Flitzer specifications and variants
EXT - Article 'Flitzer: Nostalgia Now!' in August 2009 EAA Experimenter
EXT - Article on Z-21A in Kitplanes 2008 (subscription req'd)
EXT - Yahoo group 'Flitzer-Builders'
EXT - Mark Crawford's completed Z-21A Flitzer build log

Specifications:
Wingspan: 18 ft
Wing area: 97 sq ft
Length: 14 ft 9 in
Empty Weight: 480 lbs
Gross Weight: 750 lbs
Engine: 50-80 hp
Fuel Capacity: 10.6 US gal

Performance:
Top Speed: 95 mph IAS
Cruise Speed 75% power: 86 mph IAS
Clean Stall Speed: 42 mph IAS
Rate of Climb: 720 ft/min (@ 1500 ft)
Take Off/Landing Distance: 400 ft

G-ERDAtakingoff.jpg

snaildrake

For my latest post on the Flitzer I added brief specifications, in case you want to include that. I think it's a worthwhile use of space: with them this site has a better concise design listing than Pilot Friend and a lot of other less reliable (e.g. outdated) sites. -Dan

autoreply

For my latest post on the Flitzer I added brief specifications, in case you want to include that. I think it's a worthwhile use of space: with them this site has a better concise design listing than Pilot Friend and a lot of other less reliable (e.g. outdated) sites. -Dan
Specifications. Well, there're good and bad sides about that. It does increase the size (especially the scroll length). It also is pretty difficult to come up with one common format. On the other hand, it does give a quick idea about the ship.

I want to play Darwinism with this thread. Give different ideas (like specs) a try and see what works.

Opinions, new contributions and suggestions are - as always - very welcome.

Eduardo Fadul

Fieseler Fi-156 Storch Replicas - Criquet

EXT - Criquet Fi-156 Storch - 75% replica - S-LSA, E-LSA, or E-AB kit
I worked at Criquet Aviation making the Aircraft Maintenance Manual, Kit Assembly Instruction, Illustrated Parts Catalog, etc; if you need any information about this plane just ask, i have hundreds of pics

+7.jpg18.jpg

170.jpg

Best Regards

Last edited:

flyvulcan

Log Member
Lightning Bug - by Nick Jones

Lightning Bug

Lightning Bug

EXT - Lightning_Bug : Lightning Bug Experimental Aircraft

Lightning Bug derivative - Komet 2 seat twin jet

HBA - https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/member-project-logs/6342-komet.html

General information

The rights, molds, tooling and spare parts for the Lightning Bug have recently been purchased by MaD Aviation LLC who intend to resurrect the design incorporating many improvements that will enhance performance and handling characteristics, and simplify the manufacturing and build processes.

A demonstrator is scheduled to be unveiled during early 2012, following extensive flight testing to determine accurate and verifiable performance figures and handling characteristics.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.