Aircraft Movers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TXFlyGuy

The quote to truck my plane from Ohio to Texas -
$14,000
About $11.78 / mile.

Does anyone have experience with moving aircraft via trailer-transport?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I sold my Starduster the buyer bought a trailer to haul it from CT to TX, far cheaper even than renting a trailer. His plan was to sell the trailer when he got home.

PTAirco

I hauled all kinds of airplanes with 26' U-Haul or Penske trucks. Unless you buy your own truck or trailer, it's it's the cheapest way. l like the Penske trucks because of the liftgate and the flat floor, but last week I had a quote from them for $299 for one day. U-Haul was $40. Guess whcih I used.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I'm guessing the plane isn't flyable. I've been using Enterprise the past few years to rent liftgate trucks. Rented a 26' van truck to move from Ohio to Alabama, and then Alabama to Tennessee, with multiple trips each time over several days (four if I recall correctly). Rates are reasonable (comparatively) and moving cargo is a cinch. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was way less than what moving companies charge, and certainly way less than $14,000. I want to say my cost was less than $1,000, but I just don't remember for sure. A 26' van truck would likely be overkill to move a plane, so your cost should be less than mine was. Then again, if transportation costs are up so much, I can't discount the possibility that truck rental prices aren't up in the same manner. Make sure the tanks are empty, and for God's sake don't mention fuel or oil to anyone at a weigh station, or they might want to play 'hazmat' games with you. Usually they just wave you through at weigh stations, but some will want to confirm it's just a personal move rather than commercial. I never got asked anything until the time they rented me a truck that didn't say Enterprise on the side.

I'd just loan you my flatbed trailer but you aren't traveling near me.

TXFlyGuy

It almost seems comparable money-wise to just flying off the 40(?) hours in Ohio then flying it home. Possibly safer too.
Yes, I know. But I'm sick of making trips to Ohio. It costs over $1,000 each time, and I normally go one to four times a month. My wife is tired of me being gone too, as it is hard on her.

But that may be the only option in the end.

dwalker

I bought a 20ft flatbed car hauler trailer to move mine. Works perfect. The main gear was barely narrow enough, if it had been any wider I would have had to remove the gear and build some cribbing for the fuse. If you were closer I would loan it to you.

I also have a 28ft enclosed trailer that works pretty good for moving pretty much anything.

TXFlyGuy

The deck needs to be at least 108" wide. With the ability to have full rolling access the length of the deck. The fenders can't impinge on the deck space.

Or, a lift of some sort to get the fuselage and center section with landing gear up in the air, and back the trailer under neath.

dwalker

The deck needs to be at least 108" wide. With the ability to have full rolling access the length of the deck. The fenders can't impinge on the deck space.

Or, a lift of some sort to get the fuselage and center section with landing gear up in the air, and back the trailer under neath.
Which type aircraft are you moving? A Mustang replica? If so the width is likely an issue. To get around it a cradle or some sort of cribbing should be built to tilt the airframe so that the overall width going down the road is reduced. Just a rough guess but I think 30-35 inches should do it.
If I were moving it I would leave the gear up, built a rolling cradle to support the wings while rotating the fuse, and winch it onto the trailer. Spend a little money on protective shrink wrap, and roll on down the highway. My guess offhand is the width is making your load oversize, which adds a lot of cost.

dwalker

Yes, a T-51 Mustang. It's a legal width, and many have trailered them x-country with no issues, mostly with car haulers.
Well, assuming you're a good guy and not going to destroy it, you are welcome to borrow my open trailer, it's less than 5 months old and just made a trip to CA and back without issue. I'm heading to Oshkosh this week and could drop it off in Ohio on the way up, or you're welcome to come get it at a convenient time from here in TN and return it. Depending on timeline, I could pick it up and transport it to Texas after Oshkosh, assuming there would be help loading it.