Aircraft Extras AG6 Annunciator

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I just stumbled across this:

10-04180.jpg

AG6 Multifunction Annumciator & Fuel Gauge & Volt/Amp Meter & more

This one tiny button/screen can monitor up to six inputs (for example: oil temp/press, fuel level, volts, amps, canopy/door latch) and provide both digital/analog readouts and alarms. The AG6T adds up to six thermocouples for EGT or CHT. With two you'd have both EGT and CHT and a dozen inputs for redundancy. See also the attached spec sheet and alarm list.

The seems like a great, low-cost and light-weight alternative to some other EMS solutions out there. In light of our various DIY Arduino EMS threads, this may be a ready-made solution.

Does anyone have any experience with this product or supplier?

Attachments

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I did hear back from owner Rich Meske with answers to a few specific questions about the unit. It's not Arduino-based and it's certainly not "plug and play" but it all seems very doable. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried one of these.

Matt What have you learned about the function of this. If it monitored 4 CHT and 2 EGT does it cycle through all of them and only alarm as needed? Or do you have to cycle through?

MAtt

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
You can set it how you want it, cycle through or pop up only if there’s an alarm, check out the link.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I contacted Rich at Aircraft Extras and he confirmed that both models of AG6 annunciator can take six inputs total (hence the model name). The AG6T adds the possibility of making some or all of those inputs CHT or EGT thermocouples but the total is still six.

Looks like he has a model for thermal couple inputs an aditional 6 thermal.couple inputs this one is the deal!

http://www.aircraftextras.com/AG6T.htm

If I build a hummelbird or PIK26ish 6 will be plenty and save a load of panel space.

I contacted Rich at Aircraft Extras and he confirmed that both models of AG6 annunciator can take six inputs total (hence the model name). The AG6T adds the possibility of making some or all of those inputs CHT or EGT thermocouples but the total is still six.
Then why are the thermal.couple units $259 vs $169?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The T model adds the hardware and software to use thermocouples on top of the capabilities of the base unit. If you don’t need CHT or EGT then go for the cheaper one. Considering the price of other gauges, both models are still good deals.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
By the way, here is a clear comparison of the AG6 and the AG6T, note the larger circuit board and additonal components for the AG6T.

AG6
AG6assy-300.jpg
AG6T
CHT-300.jpg

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
The thermocouple interface chip I use in my project is over $6 for 1 thermocouple. If he uses similar ones that's about $40 by itself, plus the other components and increased PCB costs for the enlarged board. There is also the extra design time, and increased assembly time.

But the real answer is that's what he thinks people will pay for the increased functionality, as the theory of price equaling material costs plus labor has been thoroughly discredited. It does more, so you pay more.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm still waiting to hear back from Rich with answers to a few questions that I had about the AG6T.
My aircraft is tandem and I will be moving from front seat to back seat as needed and I will not be able to reach the front dash from the back seat so I need 2 displays,1 front &:1 back...

Questions :

1. Can the unit use some sort of split ribbon cable or possibly 2 cables plugged into one connector at the motherboard to drive 2 separate displays at once.

2. How long can to cable be to the display before it's no joy.
His current cable is only 18" and I will need around 60" for the rear display in my install.

3. If its possible to drive 2 displays at once then what would the price of 1 additional display be.

4. Which "type" of thermocouple senders are needed for a Rotax 670.

He replied back to me at the beginning of the week and said he would need to do some testing.....I'm hoping he can come up with some answers in the next week or two.

Kevin

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am very interested in this unit but I don't have any personal experience. This is not some big commericial operation, more like one hobbyist's attempt to share with others something cool that he developed for himself. Think of it more as a kit electronics project, it will take some tweaking.

From my correspondence with Rich, one thing to keep in mind is that senders matter. There is no set of stock senders associated with this device, it's more of a tool that the user can customize. If you want to use on/off switches for high temperature/low pressure/low fluid level/canopy open idiot lights, then it's easy. If you want numerical gauges for oil pressure, oil temperature, then it's harder. The AG6T model also makes CHT/EGT easy.

Rich said to me, "The only [senders] that are easy are the ones with the linear output, the 4 to 20 milliamp output or 0 to 5 volts or something like that. If you can find a transducer like that, it is much easier. The resistance ones are difficult." I have looked around and there are 5v pressure and temperature transducers out there, but they are more expensive and harder to find, especially temperature.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
From looking at the website and the page that shows all of the available screens for the AG6T....pressures & temps. are shown.
I was under the impression that the unit was a pretty standard plug & play ordeal as long as the appropriate senders were used.

So what are we talking here with the big picture of this unit .....having to program the unit for your individual application ?

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So...1-27-20 was the last email that I received from Rich about the AG6T unit.
He didn't provide me with any answers to the questions that I asked him several times through multiple emails and he said he would get back to me with the answers.
I understand that he may be a small operation and that this may not be his main source of income...I get it.
Even though the unit appears to be pretty cool and I would really like to try one......I have to say at this point that I wouldn't take the risk of spending my money with an individual or company that does business in this manner.
The only good point to wasting my time trying to get information on this product is that I haven't waste my money on the product.
I can only imagine what customer support is like after he has your money.
I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed with the whole experience of trying to deal with this company.....

Kevin

Group Builder