Aircraft *designs* available for sale?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
ScaleBirdsScott mentioned in another thread that he knew of a few homebuilt aircraft designs (plans or kits) available for sale if someone was interested in going into the (admittedly not often profitable) homebuilt aircraft business. They might be current businesses operated by folks looking to retire or move on or designs formerly (or maybe never before) available but now for sale by the designer/owner, heirs, etc.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread to list these potential opportunities as some here (including me) might be interested in tackling such a venture. Let's hear them with photos and links if possible!

Cheers,

Matthew

1Bad88

All on Barnstormers: Z-Stol, Waco Replica, and the Haig Minibat molds

Fast Little Airplanes was for sale but I haven't seen anything for about a month on them.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Good topic, Matthew.

Someone should take the Cassutt rights, and promote and support it.

A non-racing fuselage, with the upper longerons built in one plane, would be slightly heavier, but would be much easier to build, and could have more room below the spar for taller pilot.

Three wings could be offered; the traditional wing, a larger sport wing, and a tapered all-out race wing.

BTW, Lil Scrapper, you still here.

BJC

Victor Bravo

The Jesse Anglin / Hipp's Superbird J-3 Kitten and J-4 Sportster rights would likely be for sale cheap. Mr. Hipp passed away and the word is that his widow doesn't want anything to do with the airplanes. But there are probably very few things that would be of any value to purchase; I doubt there are fuselage weld jigs or CNC files or a really good master plan set. And there's nothing about it that you couldn't make a close approximate of and call it a new design.

Now... after a classified and clandestine intelligence-gathering operation involving a Sunbeam Tiger, a shoe-phone, and a talking mailbox named Agent 13 (some of you will remember)... I do happen to know happen to know where the follow-on slightly larger prototype LSA version of the J-4 Sportster parasol is located. This is a few ionches longer and higher but otherwise very very similar to the Sportster. It ought to be, because it was built by the same guy who created the Sportster prototype for Anglin.

That person owns and operates an aviation business that has nothing to do with LSA and Ultralights, so the rights to this aircraft may be available. I will be happy to give any potential purchaser the contact information for this design... but not here publicly. I demand... the cone of silence!

Last edited:

1Bad88

The Quickie line is for sale, including tooling, plus Sit parts and completed planes.
I believe that is Fast Little Airplanes. They sold a lot of parts for the Quickie style aircraft. They had 3 or 4 planes to go with it. They developed a jet version but I believe it was lost due to an accident. The pilot survived without injury which speaks to the structure of the design.

ScaleBirdsScott

The Sportster LSA (derivative of the Spacewalker II with metal wings) was on Barnstormers. Has been. Checked out what's there. It's a shame we don't have a spare $50k and the spare time, cuz that's a design that needs a Verner on the nose in the worst way.

cheapracer

Log Member
Someone should take the Cassutt rights, and promote and support it.

A
For a business I wouldn't suggest a single seater.

Thatcher isn't for sale that I know of, but with all due respect, Mr Thatcher might be in his 90s now?
Might be a good time to step up to the plate?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Really? Don't tell @Hot Wings ! He's already got the AV-36 on his hands! :D
Already have 20 kits worth of CNC metal parts for the Quickie (Q-1)on a shelf - Where they will stay until I have the AV plans finished* and a V-twin conversion ready for the nose.

* Part of why I'm around here so much. It's easy to take a break from the CAD and check in because i"m right at the computer.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I do happen to know happen to know where the follow-on slightly larger prototype LSA version of the J-4 Sportster parasol is located.
The secret location is right here on this map.

Be careful VB, I hear Siegfried is lurking on the forum.

Pops

Log Member
I finished my Falconar F-12 in late 1980 from a project I bought. Flew it for 5 years with my wife and I doing a lot of traveling in it. Having flown over 85 different aircraft and the F-12 is my favorite. All wood and the one piece 27' large box main spar is the hardest part, everything else is just simple standard wood construction.
Its very under rated and a far better airplane than most people think. Everyone that flew my F-12 loved it. A 160 Hp, Lyc 320 is the best engine for it. A Lyc -360 will put the cruising to close to the redline of 187 mph. 160 HP will give on a solid 160 mph cruise.
http://mannaaviation.com/F-12A-plans

I still have a set of plans. Wish I was younger for the project.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I bought the Cub Major, Luton LA5 (not for sale), and Majorette intellectual property from the Falconar Estate. Been busy cleaning up the plans, no changes, just easier to read. And understand, I knew going in that I would not sell many. The fact is that very few people build from scratch. Selling and shipping kits is a whole other business that I want no part of.

I friend got me set up with a wood kit for the Cub Major from his Sitka guy for a very reasonable price. I am going to weight it for alternative wood calculations, then get started on it as soon as I finish my instrument rating. In the process I am planing on making construction videos, and a new construction manual. I am fairly sure these will be add ons.

Once I get close to covering, I plan on promoting it a bit.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have hinted to Eric Clutton that I would be willing to make the FRED plans available in the future, perhaps simply as a free download, but has not taken me up on the offer and I don't want to push. I have also kicked around the idea of a simpler parasol design of my own, in the same spirit but with more wing area and at a weight suitable for microlight category (315 kg/694 lb gross weight). I even have a name picked out...Experimental Runabout International Class. ;-) One of these days....