Air speed indicators Questions.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ve3xox

I am wishing to add a second airspeed indicator in the front seat of my Murphy Renegade.
Question is.... Can I just tap into my existing Pitot Tube line?
The static port on the first indicator is open under dash,
so i should be able to leave the second airspeed indicator static port open also?
Or should i pipe the two static ports together to the same location under the dash?
thanks bob

pwood66889

One thing to note, Mr. Ferguson. Leaving the static part of the p/s system open makes the instruments subject to the vagarities of the cockpit atmosphere. Like opening the window on final causes the airspeed to go up and/or down. Perhaps not what one wants.
Percy in SE Bama

delta

I would use a separate pitot and static source if redundancy is what your after. I'd guess a plugged pitot happens at least as often as a bad indicator.

pwood66889

" I'd guess a plugged pitot happens at least as often as a bad indicator."
Had one of those once. Rotated and noted my airspeed was zero.
Fortunately, I was on top of my game and got the ol' buck-and-a-half around one circuit. Found bug had made a nest in the pitot. Added "unscrew pitot and check clear" to the check list.
"A living check list is like fine wine in that it improves with age."
Also note to check static source, `specially after wash and wax!
Percy in SE Bama

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
" I'd guess a plugged pitot happens at least as often as a bad indicator."
Had one of those once. Rotated and noted my airspeed was zero.
Happened to me once too, but it was a broken rubber tube in the wing root. Just kept on flying and fixed it when I got home.

If you're doing it for redundancy, separate plumbing is best. If you're doing it to get an instrument in both cockpits, single is fine.

Dana

Pops

Log Member
Also happen to me once. Tube pitot tube got bent backwards under a low wing by tall weeds while turning around at a short grass strip. No problem. Did have a mud-dauber that plugged my right fuel tank vent when I stopped at an airport for about 1/2 hour. Engine quit after rotation at about 30', landed and stopped before the intersection of another runway. If the engine had stopped past being able to land, I would went into a river. I NEVER take an intersection take-off, NEVER. Dan