Quantcast

Air Force One Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gtae07

The sitting President's airplane isn't always "Air Force One". If the aircraft belongs to another branch (Army, Navy, Marines, and I guess Coast Guard as well but I'm not aware of the President ever flying on USCG aircraft) it's "(Branch) One".

If the aircraft is a civilian aircraft, the callsign would be "Executive One". I believe it has been done once in the past, as a publicity stunt.

An ultralight is a moot point; USSS would never allow the President to do that.

Charles_says

If the President of the USA was flying in an ultralight, would that be Air Force One?
Only if the Ultralight belonged to the USAF...

...the keyword here is "IF" ie: granting or supposing that; on condition that:

You can forget reality under these conditions, ie.
"If a man could walk on the sun, then.......

pictsidhe

View attachment 87383 Yes. Eisenhower’s small airport Air Force One.
Long gone are the days when Air Force One only needed to carry a few passengers.

I'm pretty sure that a president can and sometimes does tell the secret service to STFU... But no, they wouldn't be happy with him an in ultralight. I can't see the current one flying an ultralight. Perhaps a future one might.

It's not unknown for national leaders to have their own ideas about what can and what can't be done...

So, here's one of the smaller Air Force Oneskis:

SVSUSteve

I'm pretty sure that a president can and sometimes does tell the secret service to STFU... But no, they wouldn't be happy with him an in ultralight.
When it comes to safety and security, the President's ability to tell the Secret Service detachment to get bent has a lot of limits imposed on it as a result of a certain afternoon in Dallas.

BJC

HBA Supporter
POTUS is coming to The Villages (3 miles from the airpark) on Tuesday. Three Osprey have been loitering around this afternoon, and a Sheriff’s deputy stopped by yesterday to remind everyone to check TFRs.

Two Osprey, going down the runway at an altitude of 100 feet, moving about 20 MPH, make a distinctive sound.

BJC

pictsidhe

POTUS is coming to The Villages (3 miles from the airpark) on Tuesday. Three Osprey have been loitering around this afternoon, and a Sheriff’s deputy stopped by yesterday to remind everyone to check TFRs.

Two Osprey, going down the runway at an altitude of 100 feet, moving about 20 MPH, make a distinctive sound.

BJC
Did they do a nice job of sweeping it?

Aerowerx

Did they do a nice job of sweeping it?
That actually happened to me once.

It wasn't an osprey, but a Army Reserve Cobra. When I was a student pilot I had a solo lesson one beautiful June day. When i drove into the airport, i saw that they were mowing grass. When doing my preflight a cobra flew over at a couple thousand feet. Finished the preflight and as I was taxiing out here comes the cobra about 5 feet off the runway, so I announced "Morrow County Cessna 737 alpha zulu holding short runway one zero. The chopper pilot answered "we're just cleaning the grass off the runway. we'll be out of your way in a minute." I then said to myself "Only in America. A million dollar leaf blower!"

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Ultralights are not aircraft. Not sure if a TFR is needed.
George Bush did some parachute jumps. Not sure if that was while he was President. But if he did I doubt his parachute would be Air Force One.

Aerowerx

As I recall, GHW Bush flew out to that aircraft carrier in a 2 seater (Intruder???). Was that, then, Marine 1?