Quantcast

Air Cooled Water jacket engine ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

What I don’t get is why people are so quick to say it failed failed failed!
There's an old saying:
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Author unknown, but we older guys have seen the truth of it and aren't about to squander our remaining years trying to make any failed ideas work.

Eating our young? Didn't you say in another thread that you were 58?

Pilot-34

Lol I was 58 at one time I’m past that now.

By eating your young I was referring to discouraging a conversation and thus limiting threads and thread length.
The Very things that this forum is made of.

Dan Thomas

Lol I was 58 at one time I’m past that now.

By eating your young I was referring to discouraging a conversation and thus limiting threads and thread length.
The Very things that this forum is made of.
When we point out that answers to questions can often be found in the archives, we mean it. We often answer the same old questions and ideas over and over again, and it's frustrating to be challenged on the answers by people who don't like their wishful thinking critiqued, just because they can't be bothered to do a little research first. There are many well-educated people on this forum with qualifications and experience far beyond the rest of us, people who have already made some really good points about why we have the airframes and engines we have and why just about every "new" idea is not new at all. Our dearly departed Orion, a Boeing engineer, had as his tagline "What you believe or do not believe does not change the facts." Good advice.

The Wright Brothers have been held up as examples of ordinary guys who created an airplane. The inference is that any old dude can create some spectacular new design. They don't stop to find out that the Wrights were bicycle mechanics who also built and sold their own line of bicycles and worked with printing presses and motors and engines and other stuff and therefore had a strong mechanical background. Their research into flight started seven years before their famous flight. People don't think about the gliders the Wrights built and tested for three years before they made their first powered flight. How about the machinist they had in their shop to build that first engine? An engine, by the way, that weighed 180 pounds and produced 12 HP. Building engines is not easy.
The whole effort wasn't a quick-build instant flyer at all.

When I was young, finding good books on aircraft and aircraft building was hard and they weren't cheap. The libraries didn't have much at all, not surprising considering that the pilot population in the US and Canada is about one-fifth of one percent of the population, and many pilots aren't interested in building an airplane. Books like that would get read by very few people, so libraries didn't bother with them. (I couldn't find decent books on electronics, either.) Ignorance could therefore be excused to a great degree. Now, however, the internet has changed all that and there isn't much you can't find info on if you just do a search or two. For instance, we sometimes get folks that have picked up the idea that diesel engines are the next great aircraft engine. They appear to not have even Googled it. There are at least two certified diesel engine manufacturers, and diesel engines are available. They're expensive because the research and development costs ended up being far beyond expectations, so we don't see them in homebuilts. Cessna planned to install the Continental Diesel (they bought the technology from SMA) in their production 182s, and cancelled it. Price was too high. Pilots are cheapskates. Zoche has been promising a diesel for homebuilts for what? 25 years now? It won't be cheap, either. Flying cars? Moller promised us that for 40 years. People have been trying to do that for a very long time, and the horsepower required remains a pretty solid barrier. The bumblebee will have that privilege to himself for a while yet.

Most improvements are gradual, and are based on the work other have done. I can't think of a single flying machine that was spectacularly, radically different from anything else before it and that was an instant success. Even the first jets had their serious drawbacks.

pictsidhe

When a new person comes in with their fantastic idea, I often ask myself: "Can I be bothered to explain this, yet again"

It now seems to be once a month that somebody announces that they are going to build a really cheap but awesome ultralight, despite lacking the requisite learning and maths skills... Not being able to listen to sound advice from multiple people is a good indication that they do not have what it takes. Life is too short to repeat other's mistakes.

There's a $3,000,000 example on YouTube of what happens when you can't do the necessary design work OR listen to those who can and have.

A wise man is always learning from others. Only fools already know everything.

Pilot-34

When you’re an old hand here you may forget using the search function is a lot like when your mothers told you to look up the spelling in the dictionary..

For instance I ran across the picture of a light flying boat with an open cockpit and hull in a list of planes here.

One of you may recognize that right off and because of that you might know the magic word to put in the search function but I have searched for it using a lot of different terms and spending a lot of hours and I haven’t found it.

I’m old enough to have set my keys down and not been able to find them for half a day so it occurs to me maybe I didn’t see it on this site, at some point you say the heck with it and go on with life.

You’re not obligated to find it.

Just like you are not obligated to join in a thread that aggravates you.

In fact any thread that aggravates you is a good one to stay out of , you can’t go into something pissed off to start with and expect good outcomes.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Click search and then Advanced Search with a key word. It works for me. I have DuckDuckGo not Google.

Dan Thomas

For instance I ran across the picture of a light flying boat with an open cockpit and hull in a list of planes here.

One of you may recognize that right off and because of that you might know the magic word to put in the search function but I have searched for it using a lot of different terms and spending a lot of hours and I haven’t found it.
$name

Pilot-34

Lol nope I found that too
We only place I’ve ever seen that particular plane I’m looking for is a long list.