AIR ATOS Wing - 3axis from a trike wing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aesquire

The aluminum tubing used in, for example, a Kasperwing, is fairly resistant to minor hits, like running through a bush on landing. You can dent a leading edge if you hit something solid, like a shed or big tent pole, which then would need replacement, but loading & unloading, setup & breakdown just take reasonable care.

Composite D tubes are harder to inspect for damage, you can't just run your hand over the leading edge ( under the fabric, on a tube frame wing ) and be sure you are safe.

The biggest perceived difference, IMHO, is during setup and break down where a composite airframe needs more attention to rocks etc. & handling. Either material can be damaged by careless spreading of the wings and excessive torque on the wing root pivot points, etc.

Aesquire

But the aluminum tubing frame on many ultralights are under the fabric, usually a sewn envelope. During a thorough preflight you can run your hands over the leading edge and feel for dents and breaks.

I don't do it every time, ( but most times ) when folding up a hang glider, or preflight on a left assembled craft, run my hand over each cable, feeling for sharps showing a broken wire. It's best to wear cotton gloves, when you do this, to reduce blood stains on your stuff. ;)

I also ALWAYS take a moment and step back from nose & tail and look for asymmetry. Same wing twist on each side? Same shape? In some cases, rudder centered/rudders pointed same ( or proper ) direction?
It's absurdly easy to have a cable tang turned around or other glitch that won't stop assembly but locks the machine into an uncontrolled turn or pitch. ( and if something took way more effort than usual to get lined up for a bolt, etc. STOP and find out why. )

Plus you get that moment of contemplation of the beauty of the curves that shape the wind to fly.

Composites are wonderful, but can hide damage from view & touch.

Group Builder