• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aileron Balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hole in the ground

I have a question regarding aileron balancing and would like to bounce my understanding off the collective wisdom of the forum.

I think that ailerons can be balanced dynamically and/or statically.

1. Dynamic balance is done to reduce pilot force input requirements and is achieved by having some area of the control surface in front of the hinge arm.

2. Static balance is done to reduce the possibility of flutter by moving the aileron c of g closer to (or forwards of?) the hinge arm and is achieved with some ballast forward of the hinge arm.

3. A 100% statically balanced aileron would have a c of g on the hinge line.

4. A 100% dynamically balanced aileron would have as much area in front of the hinge arm as behind it. This would mean that the pilots input would only need to overcome system friction and no aero forces.

Are my statements 1-4 correct? Are there other ways of achieving 1? Is 4 potentially dangerous as it verges in unstable control surfaces? I.E. if it were 101% balanced the pilot would have to juggle to prevent the controls going to full deflection.

thanks for your help

Back