Aft Mounting of Avionics

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tdrager

What do you think of my proposal photo for mounting avionics in my Sonex Xenos electric motor glider?E5CA9B3D-EB5C-4E54-9AE8-70E5CB8AF046.jpeg
ADVANTAGES
  1. Flightbox Pro (from Falken Avionics) - Square orientation for better calibration.
  2. ADC (Air Data Computer) - Magnetometer isolated from all electrics. Since this is an electric aircraft, I want the magnetometer isolated from the 50KW motor and electronics up front.
  3. Hinge - Panel for XPDR, COM, GPS, Fuse box and USB Hub. Hinge swings down for easy maintenance.
  4. Only two wires will run to the front of the Aircraft: 12 volt DC Power, 5.1 amps and PTT - Push to Talk switch
  5. No messy wires - Headset jacks behind pilot.
  6. Easy mounting of XPDR, COM and GPS antennas.
  7. Good wifi signal to iPad.
  8. Declutter instruments panel, for a Tesla-like look. ( Simple User Interface)

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
How will it effect your CG ? is vibration going to be a problem ? do you have lights or meters you need to monitor in flight ? how is your confidence level as the builder feeling on this idea ? If all functions properly and your happy with it then I think its a great idea.👍

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Lots of Dynon equipment is separately mounted and frequently mounted aft of the seats including ADS-B in and out, xpdr, com radio. They work ok back there, I imagine others might too.

Bill-Higdon

Lots of Dynon equipment is separately mounted and frequently mounted aft of the seats including ADS-B in and out, xpdr, com radio. They work ok back there, I imagine others might too.
agree lots f avionics have remote control heads, that allow such an install to work, I just don't want an other John Denver type of mishape

tdrager

Thanks for your replies. The avionics boxes weigh about .5 pounds each, so no weight and balance issues there. All avionics will be controlled by an iPad Pto 12.9 on the instrument panel. Here’s a photo of the XPDR screen.508E25AE-B398-46CA-AF57-D3F15870107D.jpeg