Quantcast

Affordable Kit for everyone

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

shivyadav

Hi,
After recent retirement from Air Force and was looking to build a light aircraft for flying. While searching for various kits, I found it is costly from my perspective. I am from India, and making these kits will be very affordable here. Various techniques, which are being used for making these kits worldwide, are very affordable here. Raw material, such as Aluminium Alloy 6061 sheet is approx 4 USD per kg and 7075 round bar cost approx 10 USD per kg.
I would need advice from the group members about the idea of manufacturing kit in India and providing it on affordable price in major kit markets.

Hi,
After recent retirement from Air Force and was looking to build a light aircraft for flying. While searching for various kits, I found it is costly from my perspective. I am from India, and making these kits will be very affordable here. Various techniques, which are being used for making these kits worldwide, are very affordable here. Raw material, such as Aluminium Alloy 6061 sheet is approx 4 USD per kg and 7075 round bar cost approx 10 USD per kg.
I would need advice from the group members about the idea of manufacturing kit in India and providing it on affordable price in major kit markets.
Johh Penry-Evans makes outrageously affordable trikes available to the world working with his factory in India. About Us | aceaviation As long as good QC is in place from day one I encourage you to build a business plan and create competition to make light aviation affordable to all. The Bushcat Series is more reasonably costed and follows a similar business model out of Africa. Benchmark them and make a similar offering if extrusion alloys are your material advantage. HOME

None of this will work without a vigilant commitment to design excellence, test confirmation of design, and quality control in the kit production. Dream big and go on career 2.0 with passion!

Last edited:

datadriver

Hi,
Affordable kits are out there. When you are done amassing all the parts the total spent is way more than a completed airplane. I speak from experience

TFF

Just getting in the air cheap does not seem to be a driving force. You would think it is. There are plenty ways to get in the air cheap and only a few take advantage of it. At least in the US, people are attached to an idea of a certain airplane. Most seem all or nothing in execution. If you do not produce a dream airplane, you will not sell one here. Emotional or intellectual attraction will get a following, but not just plain functional.

Most planes are made in sheet metal are 2024 in the US. Aluminum tube planes tend to be 6061. In the US, that is expected, which reverts to above. If it does not fit the expected mold it will be hard to sell.

All can be overcome, if you have the right design that keys in to want, not need. Of course there are rules that make sure the kit is a kit and not just an almost built airplane, with only a few details to be added. In the US, Experimental airplanes are allowed for personal education. That’s how they fit in. You have to take that in consideration when putting out a kit.

Yellowhammer

If you could develop a light weight four stroke like the HKS and sell it for a reasonable price, that, in my opinion, would be a profitable venture. Of course I don't know **** about the process. I just shooting from the hip.
It is said a builder will spend 1/3rd on the air frame, 1/3rd on the engine, and 1/3rd on the avionics.

Victor Bravo

If you are looking for an engine (similar power and weight to the HKS) for your proposed aircraft kit, I am in a position to put you in touch with a US based manufacturer of such an engine, who would be glad to supply the engines to your kit customers as a third party. I am confident this manufacturer would want to evaluate your kit aircraft and determine whether it is a good match for the engine. So for that reason, please provide some details about the kit you wish to manufacture, and I look forward to continuing the discussion on this forum thread.

tcrbaker

Since you are in India you have access to the normally aspirated 3 cylinder Ford Dragon engine. They are built in Sanand and are used in the Ecosport. It is all aluminum and makes about 120 hp. If you removed the direct injection injectors you could install compact spark plugs for a dual ignition setup. You don't want direct injection any ways. The engine's existing port injection would probably need to be upgraded, but that would be easy. If you could develop a reduction drive in India you would have a cost effective package.

shivyadav

Since you are in India you have access to the normally aspirated 3 cylinder Ford Dragon engine. They are built in Sanand and are used in the Ecosport. It is all aluminum and makes about 120 hp. If you removed the direct injection injectors you could install compact spark plugs for a dual ignition setup. You don't want direct injection any ways. The engine's existing port injection would probably need to be upgraded, but that would be easy. If you could develop a reduction drive in India you would have a cost effective package.
Thanks for the idea. In fact, there are many engines in the various power category and they are pretty affordable. One of the cars with the 800cc engine have cost around $ 4000 (yes, the car with everything). I have to check more about weight power ratio for different engines. I am not expert in reduction drives but it can be made locally. I would love to hear more about these requirements and the process.

pictsidhe

Look at what is successful in your target markets. In America, Vans is King. But, there are other smaller fish.
If you want to sell in America, you would benefit from having an agent here.
You will need a good design, that may be your toughest challenge. Much skill is needed to design the kind of kits that sell well. Buying an established design could be a good option. Company owners retire and die sometimes. Sonex was up for sale 2 years ago, I don't know what happened to it.

Yellowhammer

If you are looking for an engine (similar power and weight to the HKS) for your proposed aircraft kit, I am in a position to put you in touch with a US based manufacturer of such an engine, who would be glad to supply the engines to your kit customers as a third party. I am confident this manufacturer would want to evaluate your kit aircraft and determine whether it is a good match for the engine. So for that reason, please provide some details about the kit you wish to manufacture, and I look forward to continuing the discussion on this forum thread.

I WOULD CERTAINLY BE INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT THIS ENGINE YOU SPEAK OF!!!?? PLEASE

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Shivyadav, welcome to the forum! I hope you get the advice you are looking for here.