Affordable engine monitor?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Nov 13, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have been looking at options for a reasonably affordable engine monitor that will fit in or on top of a standard 3 1/8" instrument hole. So far the monochrome LCD MGL E1 EMS is definitely the one to beat at $345 (not including senders), especially as the senders are connected directly to it rather than through a separate engine monitoring box. The display is a little sad, though, and I wish the tach readout were bigger.

E1.jpg

The color MGL Xtreme EMS is nice but a big step up at $1265 including the engine monitoring box but still less senders. Are there any other options that I am missing or than the very expensive ones? Let's say under $500 ideally or under $1,000 in a pinch.

Alternatively, are there any affordable interface boxes that would allow you to display engine parameters on a little Android or iOS device?

Cheers,

Matthew

2. Nov 13, 2014 #2

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I’ve been weighing the same options for about the same reasons – space, budget and reputation. I like the Mini, but have poured over the E1 and F1 MGLs and keep coming back to them… alternatively, the GRT old standby, with flight readout options…

The truth is, I like steam gauges (not being of the iPod generation), but not the space consumption or weight of them… I recall flying with Roger over at Zenith and finally saying… “okay, I give up, where is the ball…” on the impressive, but confusing, digital display… In any case, I keep coming back to the MGL E1 – although I’m probably about a year and a half away from needing it at a minimum…

3. Nov 13, 2014 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Similar thoughts here, thinking about a VP-2, in which the instrument panel is built in to the main spar bulkhead so unplanned holes are to be avoided. The stock arrangement is an aluminum panel over a 12" x 3 1/2" rectangular cutout plus two optional 2" holes. The main panel only has enough space for three 3 1/8" gauge or four (maybe five if staggered) 2 1/4" gauges. Then you still have the two 2" holes. I'd like to have ASI, ALT, RPM, OP, OT and ideally CHTx4 and EGTx4 for early warning of engine issues. I would prefer to go with no electrical ssystem, just analog, mechanical gauges and a tachometer and low oil pressure light running off a small battery. That's certainly possible with all analog instruments, but the weight does add up and the panel gets cluttered. The compass would go on top in any case.

Attached Files:

4. Nov 13, 2014 #4

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Whatever I do will probably have some redundancy… I’m unreservedly VFR and planning to run a big-gauge ASI and a manual/capillary oil-pressure regardless of what I may do digitally… I figure if all else fails that will give me enough information to get back on the ground when the techno-gizmos die. Oh, and a voltmeter -- since I’ll not be running a magneto…

5. Nov 13, 2014 #5

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I would need the voltmeter, too, with or without magneto, forgot that.

6. Nov 13, 2014 #6

Samounet

Samounet

Samounet

I was lookin for a long time for an affodable EMS and finally, I made my mind on an minEFIS MGL Xtrem.
    In fact, it's not much more expensive as the EMS option, but has some basic EFI/GPS functions that could be useful in my Experimental plane.
    An added point was the SD card logging feature that allows me to be able to compare objectively the influence of modifications I make on my plane.

7. Nov 14, 2014 #7

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I like the Xtreme but am not really happy with the form factor. I'd rather have fewer functions, the E1 EMS would be great (it even monitors voltage and records hours) except for the drab display and maximum of four CHT/EGT inputs. A very similar model but with a color LED screen or even a bright monochrome OLED screen and the ability to monitor eight or more CHT/EGT inputs would be perfect.

8. Dec 1, 2014 #8

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

Since you mention something hooked up to your tablet, I figure I'd mention the iLevil. Pricy but kind of cool idea for AHRS.

9. Dec 1, 2014 #9

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Interesting... was not familiar with this techno-gizmo...

10. Dec 2, 2014 #10

Dieselfool

Dieselfool

Dieselfool

Subscribed:beer:

11. Dec 3, 2014 #11

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

did you look at Belite?

12. Dec 24, 2014 #12

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

I have this one
    MiniEIS

You have everything what you're need in one small box.
    Nice color, display with alerts.

13. Dec 24, 2014 #13

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Looks pretty impressive if one is using those powerplants -- do you know, is there a generic model for the rest of us...?

Given the current exchange rate, that seems to be about $1200-1400; assuming VAT can be avoided... (?)

14. Dec 24, 2014 #14

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H