Quantcast

Aeroplane you have to dress into !

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

Honestly, I have no clue, but when I see them jump between trees, based on the general trajectory they take, it looks like a 3:1...maybe 4:1 @ best. How the cat has managed to catch five of them (and a few bats) this season is beyond me!

The best (skydiver) wing-suits (post 2000 AD) glide at 3:1 or 4:1.
The biggest wing-suits overlap glide performance of the smallest parachutes (say 50 square feet). They stretch straight across the feet, then straight forward/up to wrists ... like the flying squirrel in your photograph.

One British movie stunt man even landed his huge wing-suit in a giant pile of cardboard boxes!
Talk about large and furry testicles!

Kudos to your cat for catching so many flying mammals.

cblink.007

This swedish Blackwing LSA seems to be pretty "tight" as well:
She is more about showing herself off than promoting aviation. There is a video of that gal piloting a gyrocopter around some Caribbean island wearing absolutely nothing but an iPad. At least she was wearing a helmet!

Speedboat100

She is more about showing herself off than promoting aviation. There is a video of that gal piloting a gyrocopter around some Caribbean island wearing absolutely nothing but an iPad. At least she was wearing a helmet!
Yes and in another video she plays an agent with another girl. Nevertheless she is logging lotsa types and flying hours.

Any news how the Blackwing is developing ?

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Absolutely disgusting! Terrible. Just where does a video like this exist so I can make sure to avoid it?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It's interesting to compare the Jodel D.9 Bébé with the Druine D.31 Turbulent (in this case the D.31A with strengthened spar for increased gross weight):

Jodel D.9 BébéDruine D.31 Turbulent
Span22' 11"21' 5"
Area97 sq ft77-1/2 sq ft 82 sq ft [Thx fly2kads]
Length17' 10-1/2"17' 4-1/2"
Empty weight357 lb349 lb
Gross weight705 lb700 lb

It's hard to find accurate performance measurements for the two types with exactly the same engine as both were originally flown with 1200cc VW conversions and up. My general sense is that on something like a 1600cc VW the larger wing area of the Jodel means it will take off and climb better but the Druine will cruise and top out a little faster. Both will likely end up a little heavier than the empty weights above, but if you go over 400 lb for either you've got a real porker.

Does anyone here have experience flying them both?

PS--I'm not entirely sure those wing areas are correct, when I superpose the Druine on a Jodel in a roughly scaled three view the Jodel wing is only a little bit bigger. Now I am confused.

PPS--I went back and checked my drawing and tweaked it a bit to get it as close to scale as possible.

jodel vs druine.png

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

I’m actually a little shocked that there’s as much difference as there is between D.9 and Turbulent drawings. I’ve seen the real things parked side by side and if you had told me that Druine just made a Jodel with a normal wing I’d have believed you.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
PS--I'm not entirely sure those wing areas are correct, when I superpose the Druine on a Jodel in a roughly scaled three view the Jodel wing is only a little bit bigger. Now I am confused.
The difference in wing area seems to be largely a matter of accounting. The Turbulent does not follow the more modern convention of counting the buried center section of the wing, nor the portion of the tips that is "carved away" in those pleasing curves. The Rollason plans for the Turbulent list the wing area as 82 ft.^2. If you simply multiply span x chord, it comes out to about 85 ft.^2.

I have been fascinated by the Turbulent since I was eight years old. There are a couple of deterrents to me building one: I don't have ready access to a workshop large enough for the one-piece wing; and there isn't much legroom. I am not a big guy, but I sure ain't built like a postwar Frenchman, either. One of the approved mods for the Turbulent raises the bottom of the instrument panel to give a little more knee room.

Speedboat100

The Vmax Probe comes to mind. It was an extremely tight fit. I saw it at sun n fun in the 90’s before it’s ill fated flight.
It was indescribably small.

Funny you should bring this up...I recall it heated inside tramendously...I just checked that all cooling etc is good and well taken care of in my design.

My craft after lenghtening is still 3 feet shorter than V max probe. But I am not aiming at 300 mph.

V max Probe was a bit different: testingsafety

Last edited:

Wild Bill

When they opened it up and I saw that 2 stroke stuffed in there with virtually no cooling it was a bone chilling sight.
Nothing at all about it safe.
That guy ended up a little too radical with his quest to break speed records at all costs.
But it was a smooth slick little rocket. I have to admire his determination.