AerOplane CamOuflage

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by ebonheart_2, Jan 28, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2008 #21

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Actually, "predictable" effects would be more correct. Epoxies and some other resins soften when heated, thereby losing structural integrity. Since much of the homebuilder's movement has moved to epoxy for glasswork (due to sensitivities developed by builders when using the old resins), temperature becomes a very real concern.

2. Jun 12, 2008 #22

rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

shouldn't the airplane be blue and white since you don't want it seen from the ground, not from in the air?

3. Jun 13, 2008 #23

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

Most camo schemes are dual purpose and will have something different on top and bottom. You have to consider airborne threats as well as surface based. Also, some camo is not meant to hide the aircraft but merely to make it seem as if it is in a different orientation then it really is, and some is only meant to hide the actual shape in order to mask identification rather then detection.

4. Jun 13, 2008 #24

rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

good points. I didn't think of airborne threats.... but it'd be weird to fly along side it, or slightly higher than it... ground on top, sky on bottom...

5. May 8, 2010 #25

Bob Mears

Bob Mears

Bob Mears

Im getting close to finishing my project. close enough that paint is on the list. After lots of study I am considering using a latex. One of the Spitfire builders actually brushed a camouflage with satin finish on his plane 6 years ago and says it's still in excellent condition. I will choose to spray mine, but am curious if anyone on this forum has tried a latex over aluminum? I want to use the satin finish too. Something about a gloss camo just aint right.

6. May 8, 2010 #26

lr27

lr27

lr27

Seems like camouflage will make midairs more likely. And maybe even incidents from taxiing aircraft! (taildragger doing s-turns, tired pilot, etc.)

Maybe in the future we'll have plastic films full of LED's and you can flip a switch to get your favorite color scheme.

7. May 9, 2010 #27

DarylP

DarylP

DarylP

This is the best point.

The cameo should be used for war replica planes where you want them to reflect original appearance. Otherwise make that plane a visible as you can, using light colors on top, and dark colors underneath. That is because when on the ground the person looking up can see the darker colors better (against a light sky), while the person (pilot) in the air can see the lighter color better, (light color over dark ground). I personally would avoid green for this reason, as many times I would approach the landing strip and watch the plane literally disappear (when viewed from above) when it moved over the green ground foliage.
    Paint your flaps yellow, or orange, so that you are seen even better when in approach.

DP

8. May 10, 2010 #28

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think it also depends on who your "enemy" is. A local painted his RV to look like a crop duster, not because he likes crop dusters, but because he wanted to be mistaken for one when he is 10 ft AGL going across a field. For a historic camo, the Germans WW1 and 11 seem to have the best and most interesting.

9. May 11, 2010 #29

DarylP

DarylP

DarylP

:gig: Now that's a guy that using the old noggin. I wonder what the people think when he flies in the fall.

10. May 17, 2010 #30

Offcenter

Offcenter

Offcenter

I had a flight instructor who had super eyes. He would see all traffic LONG before I would. One day over a tree covered portion of eastern Pennsylvania, he suddenly screamed and grabbed the yoke....just as a green camo painted B-25 bomber went by, from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock, about a thousand feet below us. Mister super eyes never saw that plane 'til the last second. I laughed and told him, "That's why they painted them camouflage". He was shaking for quite a few minutes after that.

11. May 18, 2010 #31

DarylP

DarylP

DarylP

I wish I had saved the picture of this plane that was painted in "urban cameo" dark blues and grays...very neat way to have cameo.

DP