Aeromomentum RV-12

Discussion in 'GEO / Suzuki' started by rv6ejguy, Jul 26, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 26, 2019 #1

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

2. Jul 26, 2019 #2

don january

don january

don january

Very impressive flight numbers and price is so much better then most for the HP. An AM-13 would sure make my Taylor-mono plane perform I think. Thanks for sharing the video.

3. Jul 26, 2019 #3

Cy V

Cy V

Cy V

So far it does look good. I'd like to see more people flying behind them before I'd feel comfortable buying one though.

Pops, Turd Ferguson and BoKu like this.
  4. Jul 26, 2019 #4

TarDevil

TarDevil

TarDevil

Impressive!

5. Aug 12, 2019 #5

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I was there when they were setting up the RV for the show, very nice bunch of guys who seem to know a thing or two about what they are doing. Mark in particular (the Aeromomentum owner) certainly has been around and knows what he's talking about. I wish nothing but the best of luck to him and this endeavor.

6. Aug 13, 2019 #6

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

In some market segments Rotax is starting to get some serious competition from AeroMomentum. So far, you have to be willing to wait months for delivery, and that may get worse before it gets better, but the engines seem to be performing well.

One gyroplane OEM told me that in Australia in particular, there have been lots of cancellations of Rotax 912 orders in favor of the AeroMomentum 1.5L, despite the weight penalty. These guys use gyros for mustering cattle, and parts for a Suzuki are much easier to track down in remote areas than parts for a Rotax. The recent Rotax issues with carb floats and the exhaust valve AD have helped move this trend.

If a 1.3L or 1.5L turbo with modest boost becomes available and proves durable, this could become a popular alternative to the 914/915.

7. Aug 13, 2019 #7

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I've said for a good decade that the first smart engine guy with decent resources, business plan and proper engine development and testing programs, could make auto conversions very popular. The fact that Mark is one of the few engineers to tackle this is a big plus. Price is a big deal, given what they are asking for Rotax and Lycomings these days. If you have a good, reliable engine with good support, people will come.

I know they've been really slow to deliver, hopefully they will get this under control as broken promises and missed delivery dates don't endear you to customers or help your reputation.

I hope Mark is successful here. We really need some competition in this market.

8. Aug 13, 2019 #8

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well said. Think VW. It's popularity was solidified when good engineering combined with good business sense came together. Companies like Revmaster and GPAS made for some amazing consistency and quality which was sorely needed. It's nice to see guys like Mark giving us a real, solid alternative to Rotax, it's desperately needed. I've been following along with his journey to where he's at now from the beginning, very impressive guy with the business smarts to make this work. Fingers crossed he can maintain the momentum hes generated thus far :D;):rolleyes:

9. Aug 13, 2019 #9

RSD

RSD

RSD

Is there still a possible market for someone who can get a Mazda Rotary to work reliably?

10. Aug 13, 2019 #10

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Don't see why not but it will need the same playbook as Mark is using. You have to be well financed and not skip the steps Mark has done. Tracy Crook had good success with his stuff- another engineer BTW.

11. Aug 13, 2019 #11

TarDevil

TarDevil

TarDevil

Mark has got the stuff. He's developing FWD packages airframe specific; not just an engine, not just an engine mount, nor just a PSRU.
    I like his product breadth. I'm a fan... I'm confident he'll get production worked out.

rv6ejguy likes this.
  12. Aug 13, 2019 #12

don january

don january

don january

Mark can call me and use my Taylor mono for a test bed matching vintage aircraft to a new power plant. Looks to fit my Fire wall just right. :cool: I think it to be a good investment for me.

Attached Files:

13. Aug 17, 2019 #13

Urquiola

Urquiola

Urquiola

There's an interesting site devoted to Avionized Mazda Wankel RCE www.rotaryeng.net and some businesses specializing in Wankel rebuilt, parts and tuning: RotaryResurrection, MazdaTrix,...
    Every now and then, you find OMC Wankel rotaries or Vintage Snowmobiles fitted with an OMC or Sachs Wankel engine in eBay. Snowmobile part purveyors have spares. Sachs had around 30 HP, OMC had 45 HP. Mazda 13B starts at 145 HP
    Why don't you try? Salut +

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  14. Aug 20, 2019 #14

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Most convincing sales pitch ever.

15. Aug 20, 2019 #15

Lendo

Lendo

Lendo

In my opinion the Rotary is by far the best engine for Light Aircraft. The Mazda Rotary redeveloped by Powersport and Mistral were outstanding developments, new technology available to reduce weights of the Cast Iron housings is currently expensive, but the technology is available. With Peripheral Porting and Direct Injection, the engine can produce outstanding power and with lower weight housings - at a very low weight. Powersport produced a Lightweight steel housing engine of 178 lbs. Naturally a bulletproof PSRU is needed, probably 45 lbs. From memory the Light weight steel housings were only 1 lb heavier than the aluminium housings, without the cost of expensive surface treatments that Al needs. I figure 240 hp at 6,500 rpm to 7,000 rpm at 240 lbs may well be achievable. Unsure about Props and accessories etc.
    George

16. Aug 21, 2019 #16

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

I like rotaries, too; I've got a Renesis mounted on my RV-7 project. Based on knowing at least a half dozen guys flying them, you're likely (quite) a bit optimistic on HP/rpm, and the weight is highly dependent on what you mean. My complete FWF, including heat exchangers, exhaust & muffler, RWS reduction drive, & two full size alternators, weighs ~330 lbs. Based on the core weight of custom aluminum 13Bs and the published weight of the prototype 16X, I could knock off about 50-60 lbs if I could go all-aluminum. If Mazda ever puts the 16X into production, your numbers would be pretty close, for an a/c installation.

Charlie

17. Aug 22, 2019 #17

User27

User27

User27

Let's keep this discussion to AeroMomentum! But if we're going to talk rotaries please also address the longevity of the tip seals, lubrication and fuel consumption. As there is no control of valve events a rotary will never approach the fuel consumption of a piston engine; your are saddled with that increased cost for the life of the engine...

dragon2knight and rv6ejguy like this.
  18. Aug 22, 2019 #18

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Agree, start a rotary thread if you want to discuss those. There are no proven rotary FWF packages in this hp range.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  19. Aug 22, 2019 #19

AdrianS

AdrianS

AdrianS

It'll just end up going around in circles...

20. Aug 22, 2019 #20

mm4440

mm4440

mm4440

There is a Mazda Rotary section under the Auto Engine conversion area. User 27, you need to do more research. Your objections have been dealt with decades ago. Current built Mazda rotaries are bullet proof compared air cooled aircraft engines and have similar fuel consumption.
    The Aeromomentum based FWF for the RV-12 will be a game changer; a prediction.