Aeromarine 60hp V-Twin Engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
That is LIKE the engine Chip and Ken are using but it NOT the same. The CVT and the gearbox is now INTEGRAL to the case, unlike the older Gaokin Can Am clone which is not, to my knowledge, still being made, although resellers in China still have stock, or at least they did 4 months ago. Please note this is second hand, via another HBA poster who imported such an engine.

They are neat engines, make no mistake, but the marketplace of UTVs looks like it is moving towards integral drives, which don't suit our usage. I wonder how Chip plans to source them in the future - perhaps my information is incomplete.

billyvray

I'm putting this here, as it goes with Aeromarine.... they are playing with distributed electric power plants and make some pretty interesting claims - enough that it sounds like they have actually done it. Two motors in the wings with props that ride in a slot and store withing the slot when not needed. Really neat premise:

1628009381724.png

1628009402151.png

Chip W. Erwin

That is LIKE the engine Chip and Ken are using but it NOT the same. The CVT and the gearbox is now INTEGRAL to the case, unlike the older Gaokin Can Am clone which is not, to my knowledge, still being made, although resellers in China still have stock, or at least they did 4 months ago. Please note this is second hand, via another HBA poster who imported such an engine.

They are neat engines, make no mistake, but the marketplace of UTVs looks like it is moving towards integral drives, which don't suit our usage. I wonder how Chip plans to source them in the future - perhaps my information is incomplete.
We have our own dedicated production run of engines made exactly to Aeromarine's specifications. Even a longer dipstick to access the oil level from the top cowl hatch on our Merlin. We fill a container of engines then reship to customers from our USA fulfilment center. Customers have no CVT issue or import taxes and duties, payment risks or even currency exchange risks.

Chip W. Erwin

Thanks for posting this article. But it has nothing to do with the Vtwin. This is a Part 103 ultralight. Power is the Polini 303DS or a 30kw electric motor. The DEP-OD is a research project and is not yet for sale, if ever. We have measured 70 lbs of thrust each motor so we do nearly double our take-off thrust. This will be fun, especially on our new 750 aluminum floats.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Chip, that 60 hp engine looks very attractive for the single-seat LSA category and with a base price of $7,250 for the bare engine with ignition and redrive it also seems very competitive. Do you have any plans to offer a similar package with the 80+ hp 1,000cc GK engine to create a much needed, less expensive alternative to the 80 hp Rotax 912 UL? That would be very appealing for light two-seaters in the microlight and LSA categories.

We have our own dedicated production run of engines made exactly to Aeromarine's specifications. Even a longer dipstick to access the oil level from the top cowl hatch on our Merlin. We fill a container of engines then reship to customers from our USA fulfilment center. Customers have no CVT issue or import taxes and duties, payment risks or even currency exchange risks.

Last edited:

Chip W. Erwin

Chip, that 60 hp engine looks very attractive for the single-seat LSA category and with a base price of $7,250 for the bare engine with ignition and redrive it also seems very competitive. Do you have any plans to offer a similar package with the 80+ hp 1,000cc GK engine to create a much needed, less expensive alternative to the 80 hp Rotax 912 UL? That would be very appealing for light two-seaters in the microlight and LSA categories.
Yes we do plan to offer the larger Vtwins. But first we will deliver a few containers of this 60hp Vtwin. Still writing install and maintenance manuals....