Aeromarine 60hp V-Twin Engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

You mean like this?
Can Am V-twin
Plenty of them on ebay, in various sizes. They certainly appear to be the source for the Goakin knockoffs referenced above. The downside is that most of them are basically long blocks, with no induction system, engine controller, etc, and cost more in used or rebuilt condition than the complete GK engine system.

You guys up north should have it much easier than us southerners, because of your easy access to wrecked Yamaha snow machines. Any of the 4 strokes, from the high HP 4cyl down to the 80 HP twin would be great, but they're hard to obtain down south without prohibitive shipping costs.

Chip W. Erwin

This thread was just brought to my attention. I am glad to answer questions as best I can here or by e-mail [email protected]
We are currently shipping engines with reduction drives and props and have a good supply of everything. We are focusing on the new firewall forward installation for the Merlin but do sell the engine and components for use on other aircraft. We should be flying the Vtwin Merlin in the next 4-6 weeks and running it through a flight test program for new engine approvals by the LAA in the Czech Republic. Then we will fill orders for Merlins. I like to think of this development project as 'open source' meaning I welcome contributions, suggestions, and critics. Admittedly, Aeromarine is not an expert in engines but with my 41-years in this industry I have sources worldwide and can integrate components to result in a viable product. We needed something for the Merlin and other aircraft and I believe this is it. This engine looks very promising to fill the HKS and soon 582 gap in the market.

Stuffengineer

This thread was just brought to my attention. I am glad to answer questions as best I can here or by e-mail [email protected]
We are currently shipping engines with reduction drives and props and have a good supply of everything. We are focusing on the new firewall forward installation for the Merlin but do sell the engine and components for use on other aircraft. We should be flying the Vtwin Merlin in the next 4-6 weeks and running it through a flight test program for new engine approvals by the LAA in the Czech Republic. Then we will fill orders for Merlins. I like to think of this development project as 'open source' meaning I welcome contributions, suggestions, and critics. Admittedly, Aeromarine is not an expert in engines but with my 41-years in this industry I have sources worldwide and can integrate components to result in a viable product. We needed something for the Merlin and other aircraft and I believe this is it. This engine looks very promising to fill the HKS and soon 582 gap in the market.
Chip
What’s coming that will replace the 582? Can you shed some light on it?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
But it is based on an engine that is already in mass production, and mass consumer usage. The "airplane" side of this is probably limited to the belt redrive (looks very robust) and perhaps the tweaks to the ignition and fuel injection curves. It sure passes the "smell test" from the small amount of info I've seen.

arj1

But it is based on an engine that is already in mass production, and mass consumer usage. The "airplane" side of this is probably limited to the belt redrive (looks very robust) and perhaps the tweaks to the ignition and fuel injection curves. It sure passes the "smell test" from the small amount of info I've seen.
I was just looking for some basic things:
Weight (wet)
Max takeoff power
Max continuous power
Prop RPM
Carb (is carb heat available?) or injection?
etc.

arj1

for the engine data go to the gk-engine website, and for the propspeed go also to the ace aviation website for the psru.
Could you elaborate?
gk-engine I found a tractor(?) website.
ace aviation shows no aeromarine, just basic info about some two-stroke engines with no pricing and VERY optimistic specs.
And what is psru?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Propeller Speed Reduction Unit , also known as "redrive", re-drive, reduction drive. Airplane size propellers run best at about 2500-2800 RPM, and most non-aircraft engines make their best power at 4500-6500 RPM. Something has to interface between these speeds, and that "something" is the PSRU.

1Bad88

I am excited to see this proceed. Hopefully they release some real world numbers in the near future. This has the opportunity to be a viable alternative engine for a lot of folks. They seem to be releasing updates at reasonable intervals.

The TBO comment on the website is interesting in saying this is a throw away engine. I wonder how many hours until it is garbage and what the price will be for just the replacement engine.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I don't know about any of you guys, but $7500 is not exactly 'chump change' to me. A set of rings, seals, bearings, and valves for this engine should be a few hundred bucks as a rough guess.

1Bad88

True, for $2300 more than a comparable VW there has to be some additional benefit such as lower weight, fuel injection, etc.

arj1

I don't know about any of you guys, but $7500 is not exactly 'chump change' to me. A set of rings, seals, bearings, and valves for this engine should be a few hundred bucks as a rough guess.
Aerovee @ 80hp is the same price...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
My comment was intended to point out that (perhaps despite the company owner's hopes) the Aeromarine Can-Am is not a throw-away engine to me... any more than an AeroVee, Aeromomentum, Yamaha, or an R-2800 .

The other HBA discussions about using a stock Briggs or Kohler, where the engine is $1750-2000... well maaaybe you can make a case that those engines are a throw-away at overhaul time.

But when you get up to a $7500 replacement cost, compared to a few hundred or even a thousand dollars to do a thorough overhaul, I'm guessing most of us would rather put that five or six grand into our logbooks. Speaking for myself (as my wife's favorite of my alter-egos, The Great L. Cheapo), I sure as heck want to spend the money in the air.