Aeromarine 60hp V-Twin Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:

PagoBay

Chip Erwin - Aeromarine Web Page:
The introductory price of $7,500 includes: Engine mount, Merlin cowl, Aeromarine carbon propeller and spinner, radiator and all fittings.
We have an exclusive agreement with the manufacture of a Can-Am style V-twin engine. We have adapted a proven belt reduction drive to this engine. We have designed a custom engine mount, exhaust, and wiring harness. We even have a custom carbon propeller made to match this engine’s torque and power curve and the Merlin’s speed range.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't find a weight on the website, that could make or break it for a lot of applications.

PagoBay

Yes, important to know installed weight. I wrote to Chip via his website. Will advise.

Chip's reply:
We do not have exact installed weight just yet. Engine is 94 lbs. Reduction drive is about 13 lbs.
All up weight installed is expected to be maybe 2-3 lbs more than a Rotax 582 and 3-4 lbs less than HKS 700E.

Chip is being slowed down by Covid-19 issues in Florida. Hence final installed weight is not yet verified.

Last edited:

Cy V

I wonder what that $7,500 price could be reduced to if a person didn't want the Merlin cowl? Say you want the engine for another design. I wouldn't be surprised if that cowl is easily a good $500 - $750 (or maybe more).

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
and the 1000CC @ 83hp also based on this thread on HBA : Ace Aviation Redrive: New model
Per that thread: 147 to 154 lbs with PSRU and all accessories (I assume that includes radiator and hoses, coolant?). So about equal in weigh to a full VW with full electrical system and starter. The PSRU would give an advantage in thrust for the Gaokin, esp at low airspeed.

simflyer

I wonder what that $7,500 price could be reduced to if a person didn't want the Merlin cowl? Say you want the engine for another design. I wouldn't be surprised if that cowl is easily a good $500 - $750 (or maybe more).
Gaokin engine was sold for cca $2000 + $500 shipping.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I didn't realize the original engine was so affordable. So, we're basically paying $5k for a redrive, engine mount, and propeller?
Seems likely, and I assume the development/testing to assure they all play well together. Despite what some may say, getting a PSRU fitted and operating on any engine, but especially a twin, isn't a walk in the park. I'd want Chip to show me his math, his testing program, the problem/critcal RPMs, and any TV-related operating limitations. That's a big part of any value he is offering in the package price, I would hope.

TFF

How much do you think it would cost for you to make? They probably don’t net $200 once they sell one. Mount, prop , exhaust, and drive, if you subbed it out, would be in the ballpark. Once material, rent, labor cost, electricity, tooling, and time designed. Not many work for less than cost.

Every one of these drive designs bother me not having a strut to support the prop side of the pulleys. And the no TBO; chunk the engine and get another is great as long as they keep making them. Do you need to keep a pair and a spare just in case?

simflyer

Seems likely, and I assume the development/testing to assure they all play well together. Despite what some may say, getting a PSRU fitted and operating on any engine, but especially a twin, isn't a walk in the park. I'd want Chip to show me his math, his testing program, problem/critcal RPMs, and any TV-related operating limitations. That's a big part of any value he is offering in the package price, I would hope.
John Penry-Evans in thread ace-aviation-redrive-new-model, is in India producing redrives - probably too for this engine (don't know if for ChipErwin). Try to ask him for pricing :)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
John Penry-Evans in thread ace-aviation-redrive-new-model, is in India producing redrives - probably too for this engine (don't know if for ChipErwin). Try to ask him for pricing :)
And, if you do, ask him about the torsional vibration modeling/analysis he does (hint: he doesn't. That's for the buyer to do, or not).