Aeroduino Ignition

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc W

I stumbled on this electronic ignition using an Arduino for controller and a Volkswagen "smart" coil pack. I don't recall hearing about this before. Looks like it would be a simple setup. I don't see any details on wiring. Maybe that is to come.
Aeroduino Ignition

For hand starting if there is somewhere you could attach a hall sensor to use as an absolute position sensor you wouldn't have to swing the prop more than through one compression. Replacing the cam plug in the backside of the VW would be an ideal place for that engine.

One example device

Geraldc

For hand starting if there is somewhere you could attach a hall sensor to use as an absolute position sensor you wouldn't have to swing the prop more than through one compression.
With a wasted spark system you have 2 magnets and one hall sensor so you get a spark every 180 degrees.

Vigilant1

Also, some folks working on V-twins could use a variation of this. Compared to the OEM magnetrons, the ability to adjust the advance would allow for a lower idle and possibly higher max power.

Any worries about the safety of hand starting given the "hair trigger" at TDC? Even just slowly rotating the prop to get it in a good position to pull through will generate a spark. If there's fuel in the cylinder...

Billrsv4

With a few electronic ignition systems coming along something needs to be said. If you use coils with 2 high tension leads, IE. floating secondary, you must note that one plug fires normally and the second plug fires backward. This can cause problems if you use the fine center wire spark plugs. (Automotive) The plug that fires backward can ruin the center electrode in just a few hours. This is not a problem if you use coil on plug coils and just switch the low tension primary, the coils function normally. Motorcycles have used multi-lead coils on the 4 cylinder engines for ages even in points ignitions. (Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) They waste a spark in the exhaust stroke. One coil triggered every 180 degrees.
Bill

Geraldc

If you use coils with 2 high tension leads, IE. floating secondary, you must note that one plug fires normally and the second plug fires backward. This can cause problems if you use the fine center wire spark plugs. (Automotive)
The coil he specifies is used in plenty of cars with Auto plugs and last at least 100,000km.

JimCrawford

This unit appears to be a reworked copy of the Leburg system which has been available in the UK for several years, down to the 3 degree after TDC starting retard and the dual crankshaft magnets sensed by by Hall effect units. I've installed dual Leburg units on my VW and it makes hand propping much safer and the engine starts on the first swing past compression.

Jim