• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerobatic Tandem Two-Seater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

So personally, I think the CAD exercise at my other thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28640 has run its course. I can finish the model, but as I have no desire to build a P-51 replica given there is no viable engine and there are a bazillion of them around anyways, I've decided to go back to a design that I've been working on awhile back.

This is my second draft of the design using the techniques I've learned in the aforementioned thread.

Intended Equipment:
-Engine: (I)O-470 in prototype. IO-520/IO-540/IO-550/IO-720 in later versions. Maybe O-360 in fixed gear version
-Avionics: IFR Capable
-Other: Retractable Landing Gear; electric or electrically powered hydraulics

Goals:
-Performance: 7.5G Load limit; However fast a 230-300hp engine will take it; <55kt stall
-Crew Accommodations: "Functionally Comfortable" cockpit (28" wide at shoulders); Harmonized control system; Sliding Canopy
-Ease of Construction: ~1000hr build time; Composite cowl; Sheet metal construction for majority of airframe

First Pass Design:

2016_0616_1.jpg

2016_0414_3.jpg

Personal Critiques:

-Too blocky
-Canopy could have caused aerodynamic issues
-Slab sided fuselage looks awkward

Second Pass (Current) Design:
2017_1125_Shape.jpg

2017_1124_FrontRetake2.jpg

2017_1125_SizingStudy.jpg

More to come....