• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerobatic tail boom load conditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
There is a ton of info out there about applying and then designing aero loads on the spar and most of the wing. And there is a ton of info on loading and designing a tail boom truss or other construction. What I cannot find is if there is a need to design for different loading conditions on a tail boom under aerobatic maneuvers. There are two categories I can think of beyond just static loads. The first is way off uncoordinated control loads but those should be straight forward in just maximum deflection of each control in the absence of contribution from other factors. Is there a way to math model the other category which is snap maneuvers that is approachable? It would seem that the max roll rate arrested in some fraction of a second and get all the mass reactions of about the CG would be the approach but I cannot find anywhere where anyone actually does that when designing an airplane.

Back