Aerobatic monoplane, design document, flight testing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bhooper360

These are my goals for flight testing. I'm a few months away, so it's a good time to get started. Critiques welcome -- and if you have only nice things to say, keep it to yourself!
flight test goals-1c.png
flight test goals-2c.png
PDF attached, same as images

Attachments

• flight test goals.pdf
    89.6 KB · Views: 19

Riggerrob

How much sweep in the leading edge?
How much sweep in the trailing edge?
How does wing sweep affect stability while upright?
How much does sweep affect stability while inverted?
How much does leading edge sweep affect stall characteristics?

bhooper360

Add flat spins to the flight test.

I actually don't understand what flat spins are, nor the progression between the spin modes. The planes I've flown have very forward CG and low climb rate, so I only practiced 1 & 1.5 turns. So I have to update that once I've done S-2 spin series training, that plane has a short fuselage , short wings and low angular mass so it should be useful experience. I might have missed the Sopwith Camel bandwagon, I heard they were handing those out to anybody with a pulse...?

And sick bags.

No, y'all always bring too much crap with you when you fly. In the box we have a LODA for required documents etc., so I bring a backpack carabiner to the back seat, put all the binders and junk in the backpack and then leave the backpack on the ground. But, I will need to figure out the water situation, hydration bladder is working ok for now.

How much does leading edge sweep affect stall characteristics?

I used a taper factor of 0.5 or 0.6, I adjusted it in CFD until the leading edge stalls at the same time. If the ailerons are not full-length, this changes the CFD results as well.