Quantcast

Aerial Spraying: What AGL?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

pull up, with a hammer head revolving on a wing tip over the well. No doors on the airplane. We got the picture.
Oh heck Pops, you would have made a fantastic sailplane racer! That's the same maneuver we used to shoot our "turnpoint pictures" to prove we completed the course. Had two old-school Kodak X-15 "Instamatic" cameras mounted just above our left shoulder, shooting out along the leading edge of the left wing. A 90 degree bank turn over a specific landmark or airport was made, shooting the picture at the apex of the turn. When we landed we'd turn in our film and they would develop it on the spot, and verify we flew from the start, to X, to Y, to Z, and then back to the finish. Could get a little spooky with eight or ten gliders doing at over the same airport though :)

Here's a good representation of a typical cross country turnpoint photo I found online, but with a much nicer camera:

Last edited:

Dennis K

Totally off topic but may be of interest to others with 'skeeter problems:
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis
Works as advertised on our little back yard pond. Being a spore forming bacillus makes it pretty resiliant unless I clean the pond and refill with chloramine treated city water.
Good catch! I forgot that stuff even though I keep a few chunks in the car for when I go to the field to toss into puddles. The local Lowes carries it. Great stuff.

Daleandee

Totally off topic but may be of interest to others with 'skeeter problems:
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis
Works as advertised on our little back yard pond. Being a spore forming bacillus makes it pretty resiliant unless I clean the pond and refill with chloramine treated city water.
I'm familiar with the disks like these:
1593133732213.png

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Oh heck Pops, you would have made a fantastic sailplane racer! That's the same maneuver we used to shoot our "turnpoint pictures" to prove we completed the course. Had two old-school Kodak X-15 "Instamatic" cameras mounted just above our left shoulder, shooting out along the leading edge of the left wing. A 90 degree bank turn over a specific landmark or airport was made, shooting the picture at the apex of the turn. When we landed we'd turn in our film and they would develop it on the spot, and verify we flew from the start, to X, to Y, to Z, and then back to the finish. Could get a little spooky with eight or ten gliders doing at over the same airport though :)

Here's a good representation of a typical cross country turnpoint photo I found online, but with a much nicer camera:

I used to help in the ground crews at sailplane meets when getting the wave off Mt Mitchell in NC in the spring and at New Castle, Va when my old flight instructor was flying in the meets. Lots of fun. I owned a I-26 at one time. It was one of the kits.

Friend on mine lives close to New Castle, when there is a meet he gets up in the fire tower and get some nice pictures of sailplanes going past the tower in the speed run on ridge lift.